Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 389 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Cheap cup holders

All cup holders are $70??! What, are they nuts?

Here's what I did in a few trips to the hardware store, with some angle brackets, pipe clamps, an old leather belt, some webbing, pop rivets, a cheap dollar store cup holder and a PVC pipe coupling. Two cup holders. And the slot in the one on the bars is so my heated coffee cup wire fits in it (gots ta have that java in the AM!)

Yeah, I know, I'm cheap and have too much time on my hands, but I prefer frugal.

Back:

Front:

Well?

Edit: Yeah, I know, wash the trike.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 04-19-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 389 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Side stand retrievable ground pad

Here's basically a freebie. I got a trike so I don't need it any more, but before I'd use a pad or something on the ground for under my side stand on grass, dirt, stones, etc. To keep it from sinking in and the bike from falling over.

Lost of ideas for pads like this. You toss it down there and move the bike a little so it sits on it.

The problem is when you go to leave. Uh-oh; now how in the heck do you bend over to pick that darned thing up and not drop the bike??!!!

My solution was simple; drill a little hole in it and attach one end of a string. Run the string up to the bars, and make a permanent loop in it to fit, with some slack. Cut off the rest.

Now before getting on the bike, put the loop end up around the handlebar; hop on, sit it upright, and use the string to retrieve the little ground pad! Wind it up and toss it in your glove or windshield box.

The following users liked this post:
Nick LaBrie (04-07-2022)
Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by terryrh
Can you explain this? Do you mean you hook a tender into there? Excuse my confusion por favor
sorry about that, maybe i didn't clarify in my description.

the wires of the 12v plug are wired direct to battery (red wire to positive with an inline fuse, black to negative).

this meaning it has constant power. you don't have to have the ignition switch on to have power at the plug. As for the tender, you plug in the tender with a cigarette style plug in and it charges/maintains the battery directly.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:01 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamMudd
sorry about that, maybe i didn't clarify in my description.

the wires of the 12v plug are wired direct to battery (red wire to positive with an inline fuse, black to negative).

this meaning it has constant power. you don't have to have the ignition switch on to have power at the plug. As for the tender, you plug in the tender with a cigarette style plug in and it charges/maintains the battery directly.
Ah so you use the batteryto charge the battery...gotcha

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Here's basically a freebie. I got a trike so I don't need it any more, but before I'd use a pad or something on the ground for under my side stand on grass, dirt, stones, etc. To keep it from sinking in and the bike from falling over.

Lost of ideas for pads like this. You toss it down there and move the bike a little so it sits on it.

The problem is when you go to leave. Uh-oh; now how in the heck do you bend over to pick that darned thing up and not drop the bike??!!!

My solution was simple; drill a little hole in it and attach one end of a string. Run the string up to the bars, and make a permanent loop in it to fit, with some slack. Cut off the rest.

Now before getting on the bike, put the loop end up around the handlebar; hop on, sit it upright, and use the string to retrieve the little ground pad! Wind it up and toss it in your glove or windshield box.
So simple and smart and this dummy never once thought of that

Old 04-20-2014, 09:09 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about the string before but have never remembered to do it. I could have used it a couple weeks ago at a tavern also.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
I thought about the string before but have never remembered to do it. I could have used it a couple weeks ago at a tavern also.
If you're worried about it having this "mod" and you can't remember, tie a piece of string around your finger.

The following users liked this post:
Nick LaBrie (04-07-2022)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I meant that I can never remember to DO the mod until I need it.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 AM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
No, I meant that I can never remember to DO the mod until I need it.
That happens to me aaaaaaaallllllllll the time!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 PM
mattswit
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great idea

Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM
mattswit
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so many great ideas. where to start?

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$