Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 PM
cyclgoat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanx for answering so fast. I am in Afghanistan at the moment but as soon as I get back I'm definite doing that. I read the forums when I can and taking a lot of notes for when I get back to Texas. Anyone from there?

Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM
DynaRayBob
Novice

Oh Yeah, Austin. Be safe--Ray

Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM
tn_mountainman
6th Gear
Default Custom Dynamics LED Turn Signal Mods

Just added Custom Dynamics LED Turn signals and controller to my 2013 Road King. I really like the LED signals, they are bright but I did not like the fact that the LED assemblies were essentially floating in the turn signal body. So I had the idea to add a bit of non conductive closed cell foam behind the Turn signal LED circuit boards to reduce the chance the LED assembly would rattle or move. I used some pipe insulating foam for a 3/4" pipe cut to fit ~3/4 inch thick and put it behind the LED circuit board. Once the lens were back in place everything fit up very snugly.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Welderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by collin
True duals, this kit is still a bit pricy (less than others) for what you get as far as parts, but works great, less heat, sounds fantastic...stereo exhaust, easy install. Less torque but I'm not a racer. If I want torque I get on my other bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-E-Performa...item3f1314e799
Great kit, installed one on my02 Ultra for &139.00 years ago. Also put a couple on for a couple of friends who saw mine.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Welderman
Advanced

For those of you that are doing the 12v GDO, here is what I did. Take your opener apart and wire the momentary switch as others have suggested with these wires coming out of one side, run another set of wires out of the other side to hook to your battery or another source of 12v power, close it up and seal with silicone to make it water tight. Leave the GDO under the seat. On a lot of the switches, especially the black plastic ones, there will be a flat bottom, sick a piece of 3M tape to it and stick it to the frame under the seat pan next to the mid frame heat shield on the right side. When you get to your drive, just reach down with you throttle hand and push the button. No drilling or trying to figure where to put the button, and if you change scoots, pull it off and install on new scoot. I have been doing this for years and works very well.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Welderman
Advanced
Smile Curved fork deflectors

Ok; so I ask a question on another thread about curved fork deflectors,
"I see that a lot of you are putting the HD and the JES fork wind deflectors on your Touring bikes, EGs, RKs, SGs, ect.. Will these not fit on the RGs too? Do the RGs not have the same bolt pattern on the forks as the others? This I do no know as I have never checked.
BTW I have lowers on my SERG".
Not a lot of response, so here is what I did.
I designed my own deflectors out of black ABS plastic, the wife said black would look better than chrome.
I will test them out tomorrow on a 250 mile ride thru Tenn & NC.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0004.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0007.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0008.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0011.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0017.jpg  

Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Welderman
Advanced
Smile

More Pics, sorry some are a tad blury

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0016.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0013.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0012.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0009.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0001.jpg  

Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Welderman
Ok; so I ask a question on another thread about curved fork deflectors,
"I see that a lot of you are putting the HD and the JES fork wind deflectors on your Touring bikes, EGs, RKs, SGs, ect.. Will these not fit on the RGs too? Do the RGs not have the same bolt pattern on the forks as the others? This I do no know as I have never checked.
BTW I have lowers on my SERG".
Not a lot of response, so here is what I did.
I designed my own deflectors out of black ABS plastic, the wife said black would look better than chrome.
I will test them out tomorrow on a 250 mile ride thru Tenn & NC.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybey
Has anyone tryed to create their own heat shield to help with the "fried thigh" problem? If so what did you use?
I bought the cheapest I could find on ebay. They are leather. Cut a piece of leather. Make a cardboard pattern first to find out the shape.

I've had the Kury ones and the Harley ones on different bikes and the piece of leather works.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Welderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
Where did you get the ABS and how did you make the bends??
The plastic was a piece of 1/8" scrap I had laying around. I made the bend by clamping the piece on my work bench with a 1x2 piece of wood on top and heating it with a heat gun, when it got soft enough, I folded it down with the assistance of a 1x2 scrap piece of wood. You have to be careful when heating it or you create warps and bubbles. I just returned home from a 300 mile trip and the deflectors held up well, they did not move or flex at all. I did not notice a whole lot of difference with then on except for a little less wind in the face.

Last edited by Welderman; 09-29-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: wrong words

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$