Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013 | 01:36 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by geezerglide04
new to the forum and like your idea on the garage door opener. Aren't most of them 1.5 volts. how will applying 12v to them work????
Welcome to the forum.
Only connect 12 volt remotes to the 12 volt system.
There are means to step down the voltage, however, if you are so inclined.
Replacement remotes in 12 volts are out there...

Old 08-21-2013 | 06:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bsnilloc
Have you guys seen this yet for antenna on Street Glide?
Worked for me.
course you could always eliminate that bracket altogether, pull your antenna cable back up into the fairing, lay your stock antenna mast across the top of the inside of the fairing.

Old 08-23-2013 | 10:21 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior

I just did the antenna mod in the video on my RGC, but I like the idea of trying to move it inside that fairing. It works fine, but I can see it down there an it annoys me. I think I'll pick up a shorty antenna from the auto parts store and try to put it inside the fairing this weekend.

Old 08-30-2013 | 09:08 AM
PaddyH3GM
Intermediate
Default Dzus fastener holders

Brilliant!!! Thanks!

Originally Posted by _TonyB_
If you're tired of fishing around the bottom of you bags or trying to remember where you put the pins and washers when you removed them, try making a few sets of these fastener keepers. It's an inexpensive way to keep the pins and washers close at hand. I had a lot of the stuff lying around so it didn't cost me much more than some time to make these. My best estimate is that this would cost less than $10 if you had to buy everything.

Here is the finished and installed product.

They are pretty simple to make.

I used some black 16ga stranded wire, some 14/16ga ring terminals with the plastic insulation removed, some 1/4" O-rings and some black heat shrink tubing. I used 6" of wire for each keeper but you can choose the size that works best for you.

First I cut the wire to size - no need to strip the insulation off the wire - and slid the wire (insulation and all) into the terminal. Once in the terminal I crimped it.

I then slid the piece of heat-shrink tubing over the wire and on to the terminal end.

I slid the second piece of heat-shrink tubing onto the wire and crimped on the other terminal. I slid the second piece of heat-shrink tubing onto the other terminal as before. I was careful to make sure that the terminals both faced the same way as this allows for the wire to lay flat while connected and it looks better too.

I repeated this process four times so that I had a keeper for each of the fasteners.

Then, using my heat gun, I shrunk the heat-shrink tubing.

Then I took the 1/4" O-Ring and slid it onto the pin.

I made sure that I pushed it all the way down so it kept the fender washer in place.

With a pair of needle nose pliers, I popped one side of the ring on the end of the pin out of its hole so I could insert one end of the terminal keeper onto it.

I slid the terminal on so it looked like this

Using the proper torx bit, I loosened one of the screws holding on the bag latch. I found that using the one furthest away from the pin allows the six inches of wire to lay in a nice arc.

I placed the other terminal under the screw and tightened it to factory specs and repeated it three more times and I was done!

I've learned a lot from this forum and thought I would give back by sharing this. Happy to answer any questions.

Old 08-30-2013 | 09:13 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by PaddyH3GM
Brilliant!!! Thanks!
no kidding! the simplest things sometimes are the best things ever!

Old 08-30-2013 | 11:50 AM
pp6000v2
Cruiser
Default Tourpak tray & USB charger

I bought the Top Shelf organizer tray for the tourpak, and I really wanted the 12v port that goes with it, but I wasn't willing to spend an additional $40. I found something on amazon that (for me at least) cost less than $20 and did exactly what I wanted:

5v/2.1a usb charger that connects direct to 12v. All I had to do was make a quick disconnect harness for it so I can unplug it when I take the tourpak off.

I tapped into my accessory harness that I made when I installed the sat radio and phone charger in the batwing. I even learned a new soldering technique to boot.

Got everything installed kind of temporary-like, since I'm getting the full pak liner here in a little bit.

Charges the iPad!

I also installed a battery tender harness so I could use my charger again.

Old 09-01-2013 | 02:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Hey look, another passing lights on with hi beam!

A simple tap to connect the yellow and Orange/red wires together.

acc and spots work with ign on or ACC, or with both hi beam and low beam on

Mike

Old 09-01-2013 | 03:07 PM
elderberry99
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Hey look, another passing lights on with hi beam!

A simple tap to connect the yellow and Orange/red wires together.

acc and spots work with ign on or ACC, or with both hi beam and low beam on

Mike
Are your passing lamps still able to be controlled by the switch?

Old 09-09-2013 | 03:01 PM
Road Glide Mark
6th Gear
Default DIY for Low cost

I bought a new Road Glide Ultra 2013, and when adding air to my rear shocks I've noticed that you have to remove the left saddle bag.... well because the rear shocks do leak.

I purchased a new HD flexible valve extension and bent my valve bracket slightly upward, and attached the valve extension to the shock valve and used black wire ties to affix the flexible extension to the rear comms socket and harness. It stays hidden and I no longer have to remove my saddle bag to add air to my rear shocks!

Valve Stem Extension-42300009
Part Number 42300009
$10.95

Old 09-10-2013 | 07:06 AM
_TonyB_
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Road Glide Mark
I bought a new Road Glide Ultra 2013, and when adding air to my rear shocks I've noticed that you have to remove the left saddle bag.... well because the rear shocks do leak.

I purchased a new HD flexible valve extension and bent my valve bracket slightly upward, and attached the valve extension to the shock valve and used black wire ties to affix the flexible extension to the rear comms socket and harness. It stays hidden and I no longer have to remove my saddle bag to add air to my rear shocks!

Valve Stem Extension-42300009
Part Number 42300009
$10.95
Hey Road Glide Mark, good idea but, your shocks shouldn't leak. I have a 2011 Street Glide and the only time I change the air pressure is when I'm fully loaded for a trip. Otherwise I don't need to add air - it just stays at the pressure I've left it at. If I were you, I'd march - ok, ride - back to the dealer and have them fix that. Good luck, enjoy the bike and stay safe!

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$