Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 PM
2 Evil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent reading guys!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-01-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Friday I was bored and went to radio shack and did the siren upgrade. took all of 10 minutes. once I got home from the Shack.

Today I spent hours reading just this thread, so I had to show you my Gate operator install. My Install takes under one minute with everything you already have at home. And is 100% water proof.

First picture is the finished look, very clean, nothing showing, not even a visible button to push.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff-weissman-photography/9237479936/http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff-weissman-photography/9237479936/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/jeff-weissman-photography/, on Flickr

The Next picture is the install.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff-weissman-photography/9237482292/http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff-weissman-photography/9237482292/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/jeff-weissman-photography/, on Flickr

As you can see the wireless gater opener is mounted with sticky back tape. Under the front trunk lid. All I have to do is open the hinge, run my hand up from the hinge to the front of the bag and push the button.
If you're really in a hurry and prepared you can maybe do this install in under a minute.

Last edited by oneballz; 07-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by oneballz
So Friday I was bored and went to radio shack and did the siren upgrade. took all of 10 minutes. once I got home from the Shack.

Today I spent hours reading just this thread, so I had to show you my Gate operator install. My Install takes under one minute with everything you already have at home. And is 100% water proof.

First picture is the finished look, very clean, nothing showing, not even a visible button to push.

The Next picture is the install.

As you can see the wireless gater opener is mounted with sticky back tape. Under the front trunk lid. All I have to do is open the hinge, run my hand up from the hinge to the front of the bag and push the button.
If you're really in a hurry and prepared you can maybe do this install in under a minute.
So you open your saddlebag as you're riding toward your garage door to reach down and push the button? There are much safer ways of opening your garage door.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Tonus
6th Gear

I have done many mods on the cheap,some ideas from here,but mostly I am just poor.
Here are a few I can think of and if needed I might even have a pic or two.
1 tire repair kit and digital air gauge velcroed to lid of saddlebag. $0
2 LED brake/run lights mounted between bags and fender $25
3 LED lights mounted in speakerwells on fairing and hooked to turn signals $10
4 LED lights mounted in lid of tour pak for illuminating mirror mounted for wife $20
5 leather drink holder mounted to crash rail on saddlebag $0
6 foot guard mounted on floorboard made from scrap stainless $3 for L brackets
7 floorboard extensions from hardware store bolts and brass bushings $18
8 gas cap tether, piece of leather screwed to cap to keep it from falling $0
9 gauge bezels, bought from truckstop and little modification $5
and here is a freebie, does your headset hookup on the dash look grey and chalky? I use a paintpen and blacken in back to "new". it now matches the black of the dash panel.

I am sure that some of these are impracticle to some,but I hate dropping my gas cap and it bounces under the car beside you. And I also dislike spending a Hundred Dollars at the HD store.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM
oneballz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by White Ice
So you open your saddlebag as you're riding toward your garage door to reach down and push the button? There are much safer ways of opening your garage door.
Dont be silly (silly is the new stupid), When I stop at the gate, I reach back open the bag and push the button. Same thing upon leaving, I stop push the button to close the gate and wait to make sure it fully closes.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer

Mama said silly is as silly does.....

Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by oneballz
Dont be silly (silly is the new stupid), When I stop at the gate, I reach back open the bag and push the button. Same thing upon leaving, I stop push the button to close the gate and wait to make sure it fully closes.
OK, I must still be silly/stupid. What's the point of the install?

If you need to stop, open the bag, push the button, close the bag, then continue.....you might as well have left the remote in your pants or jacket pocket.

I always thought the idea behind all of the various 'garage door opener' mods was to allow the rider to open the door as you approach, thereby eliminating the need to stop until inside the garage, or in your case, inside the gate.

I am seriously not trying to be a dick, but you could have put it in one of your windshield pouches.

Great photos BTW.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

So many great ides, thanks to all!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 PM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I used a vacuum pump to change front fork oil to 15w. Great upgrade. Tookjust a few minutes per shock. I pulled off and replaced 4 oz at a time with a harbor freight pump and belray oil.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MAJOR
I used a vacuum pump to change front fork oil to 15w. Great upgrade. Tookjust a few minutes per shock. I pulled off and replaced 4 oz at a time with a harbor freight pump and belray oil.
On what kind of bike and can you elaborate more?

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$