Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by _Daswine_
Here is a trick I used on my Ultra Limited, I wanted a cup holder, but hate the thought of cluttering my handlebars. So I picked up an extra glove box door from eBay for $7, bicycle drink holder from target $3 a couple of nuts and bolt laying around and BAM....!
I made one similar out of Stainless steel and bolted it to my locking govebox door. The type a couple of post back from here.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 AM
HarleymanMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep it on the bike!

Originally Posted by jjnoble
A member just posted a link to these locking glove box doors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111082028677...witem=&vxp=mtr
Great price, less than $30 delivered.

I have one problem with locking glove box doors, they do not attach permanently to the bike. If you do not lock one properly you will lose it on the highway. So, does anyone have any ideas on how to attach a hinge to the bottom of the door?
Here's my idea.
Go to any fabric store, or hardware store. Buy 4 snap sets ($2). Get an old tie down strap and cut it into four, 4 inch lengths. Fold the ends of your strips over onto itself about 3/4" and hot melt glue it. Install one side of the snap on each end of your straps. Now glue the other sides of the snaps on the back of your doors and on the inside of your glove box, on the side the door goes to. (I use urethane windshield adhesive cuz it sticks like hell and is slightly flexible even when cold) The extra length of the straps allows the doors to be swung downward when unlocked...you will need to test fit where exactly you glue the snaps on so the doors will stop at your desired point. Want to change to soft covers? Just unsnap the hard doors! Hope I was articulate enough, and this helps!
Speed safely!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM
gator8
6th Gear

Everytime I get a new bike I always do the garage door opener install...saves a bunch of fumbling around when I get home...cool thing is get creative and install where it looks natural...I like doing practical things.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 AM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spotted this on another bike while on a run recently. So I can't take credit for the idea.

Most of us remove the rear passenger strap. I left the two chrome clips in place so I could run bungee cords or straps to them. I sometimes do long solo runs and load up with bags on the bike.

Items, two 4" canvas or nylon straps, couple of bolts and nuts. I used a 1/4 punch to make the holes. The rest is self explainatory.

The following users liked this post:
Narddog (12-14-2022)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM
WICK
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so doing this, great idea.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gator8
Everytime I get a new bike I always do the garage door opener install...saves a bunch of fumbling around when I get home...cool thing is get creative and install where it looks natural...I like doing practical things.
Hey! You know the rules!... Pictures man, PICTURES!
Ok, maybe you don't know that, so welcome to the forum.... and post some pictures of your mod!

Originally Posted by WIHD55
I spotted this on another bike while on a run recently. So I can't take credit for the idea.

Most of us remove the rear passenger strap. I left the two chrome clips in place so I could run bungee cords or straps to them. I sometimes do long solo runs and load up with bags on the bike.

Items, two 4" canvas or nylon straps, couple of bolts and nuts. I used a 1/4 punch to make the holes. The rest is self explainatory.
Nice! I doubt I'll be taking my strap off any time soon, but that's a sweet idea! That one goes in my list of tips, tricks and tweaks.

Last edited by basselope; 06-20-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:56 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

i did a post on:
How to: remove luggage rack off Tour Pak & plug holes - $5

because I don't like the Rack that comes on the Limiteds.

some guys brag "boy, I done it RIGHT!, had the tour pak, sanded, fiberglassed, painted, clearcoated, buffed, and then rode the bike a month later!"

i say "i did it for five bucks, in five minutes, and mine is REVERSIBLE"

heres the pics, not much to say:

flush plugs from Advance Auto parts

grab a tube of clear silicone if you worry about them leaking.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04ctd
i did a post on:
How to: remove luggage rack off Tour Pak & plug holes - $5

because I don't like the Rack that comes on the Limiteds.

some guys brag "boy, I done it RIGHT!, had the tour pak, sanded, fiberglassed, painted, clearcoated, buffed, and then rode the bike a month later!"

i say "i did it for five bucks, in five minutes, and mine is REVERSIBLE"

heres the pics, not much to say:

flush plugs from Advance Auto parts

grab a tube of clear silicone if you worry about them leaking.
I love it

Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Gerv7
2nd Gear

A lot of great mods here, i have read through all 132 pages just incredible. Some a little repetitive (clear throat GDO) but great none the less! awesome work guys and thanks

Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM
turkeybird42
Intermediate
Default Shift rod linkage heim joints warning!!!

DO NOT BUY "LXF5" joints for your shifter rod, these are LEFT HAND threads and will not go on a "right" hand threaded shifter bar which are on the HARLEYS. BUY "XF5" JOINTS, these are RIGHT HANDED THREADS. Other than that, GREAT IDEA...Found out the hard way I had the wrong joints when ordered as per this thread. !!!!!!!!!!!!:i con_toliet: WARNING !!!!!!,

Last edited by turkeybird42; 06-28-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: show pic

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$