Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cpudoc
Gents,
After a good cleaning I noticed that my lower bag/fender support was busted.
Nice fix, Mine broke twice until I took it out and made a new one from scratch.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cpudoc
Gents,
After a good cleaning I noticed that my lower bag/fender support was busted.
Good fix.
That usually happens when we remove the rear bumper. Happened to my EG. I welded mine up and it lasted until I was able to replace it. I bought the new part and put the bumper back on even though I hate the bumper. Have not had the problem since. Looks like your's broke with everything bolted up though. Weird.
There is a guy on ebay that makes a really nice repair strap out of stainless, not that your fix isn't a good one, but I'm just mentioning another option.
Also if this does happen and you would like to replace the whole part, buy it new from the dealership. Somehow everyone on ebay thinks used ones are worth double what new ones are, like they're rare or something.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It happens with the bumper as well. There have a bumper eliminator bracket that goes inside the fender you can get at HD.

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
Good fix.
That usually happens when we remove the rear bumper. Happened to my EG. I welded mine up and it lasted until I was able to replace it. I bought the new part and put the bumper back on even though I hate the bumper. Have not had the problem since. Looks like your's broke with everything bolted up though. Weird.
There is a guy on ebay that makes a really nice repair strap out of stainless, not that your fix isn't a good one, but I'm just mentioning another option.
Also if this does happen and you would like to replace the whole part, buy it new from the dealership. Somehow everyone on ebay thinks used ones are worth double what new ones are, like they're rare or something.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

dang... that sucks.... is this a common issues after so many miles, or it just happens out of he blue?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:59 AM
99!fxdwg
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great tips!

I just read through and made a list of things to do to my (new to me) 2008 FLHP.

Thanks to all who have provided tips.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:04 AM
99!fxdwg
5th Gear
Default How?

Originally Posted by buell95
Made a low profile upright backrest for my streetglide wanted somthing different to go with my low profile seat instead of the large harley ones.
What did you make this from? How? Please tell more and show pics. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 PM
firedog341
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TeamMudd
dang... that sucks.... is this a common issues after so many miles, or it just happens out of he blue?
I had to replace my left side at around 20,000. My dealer said it was common and keeps the brackets in stock.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM
91FLHS
Novice

Originally Posted by elderberry99
I love using the "velcro". I took some velcro and cut about an inch strip and peeled off the backing paper to expose the sticky side and ran it through the little wire loop on the saddlebag retainer pins and stuck it to itself. I then used the hook-n-loop part and stuck it to the saddlebag so that both pieces will line up when the locking pin is in the closed position. This will act two fold. One, it will keep the pins from being rotated loose during a ride or prevent someone from popping the pin loose from outside with small screwdriver. Two, once you loosen the pins to remove the saddlebag, just turn the pin to realign the velcro to catch on the hook-n-loop side so you do not loose the pin or washer. The pins and washers will always be ready to line up in the locks when saddlebags are ready to be re-installed on bike. I even use the velcro to attach my riding glasses to the lids. As shown, I have one pair of sunglasses and one pair of clear that are attached to the lid with a couple strips of the velcro. Great stuff and super cheap. I think I paid $5 for a box with both strips about two feet long each.
I know where my Velcro is going to be used!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM
mikstein
1st Gear
Default radio shack alarm question

I saw a post earlier in the thread where someone mentioned wiring in two of the alarms at once. I added the radio shack alarm last week, and it works well, but i wish it was louder. Has anyone installed two? Can i expect any issues if i wire two sirens in parallel?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:12 AM
AbnMP13
Tourer

No issues, I have two on mine.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$