Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Schubes22001
Here are some pics of the tour pack. Just a little dirty from winter storage. The last one is the pin that keeps everything from sliding. There are 2 of those.
Nicely done. Do you get any rattles from the pins?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM
totalgearhead
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Muffler Tips

When working around the rear of your bike or removing the mufflers from the bike, keep an old pair of socks in garage. Throw them over the back of your mufflers, it might save a little scratch or nick in them. You can double them up for an extra layer of protection and the heavier the sock, the better. (winter woolies are great!)

I have Rineharts with the black anodized caps and they mark-up easy!

You can do the same with longer socks or cut the toes out to protect the whole "can" while they are off the bike too!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
I want to see this as well!
+2 interesting!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Schubes22001
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VA_Larry
Nicely done. Do you get any rattles from the pins?
Thanks. No, there are no rattles, I've got the holes pretty tight and if push up on the bottom I can get the cotter pin in the next hole up, since my pins have multiple holes.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by totalgearhead
When working around the rear of your bike or removing the mufflers from the bike, keep an old pair of socks in garage. Throw them over the back of your mufflers, it might save a little scratch or nick in them. You can double them up for an extra layer of protection and the heavier the sock, the better. (winter woolies are great!)

I have Rineharts with the black anodized caps and they mark-up easy!

You can do the same with longer socks or cut the toes out to protect the whole "can" while they are off the bike too!
I see where this would also be good to keep out small visitors during storage - for those that need to store 'em for a while...

Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Mice don't like steel wool you could put that in the end of exhaust as well for long storage

Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by davidwruth
Mice don't like steel wool you could put that in the end of exhaust as well for long storage
Sure would be bad if you forgot about 'em and cranked your bike with the old lady standing behind you - you could put both of her eyes out!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 PM
cspainting
4th Gear

Great stuff, I think out of all the suggestions, I like the siren from Radio Shack the best!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Sure would be bad if you forgot about 'em and cranked your bike with the old lady standing behind you - you could put both of her eyes out!
Hahahaaaa, reminds me of the time my dad came hauling down the block and a baffle dislodged and shot like a torpedo. Thankfully no cars or other bikes behind him!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
zdrifter
Cruiser
Default Little Electric pump for shock top off

Was in Lowe's the other day for (more) home remodeling stuff ... hope I'm done soon and can get back to riding!!! Ran across a seemingly neat thing call a 'Tire Top Off' by Slime.

It's a little (~3"x5") electric 50psi pump with a built in gauge and a connection to an accessory plug (aka cigarette lighter). So in the true spirit of DIY I bought it to see if the gauge is reasonably accurate and I could use it for the shocks.

Checked the accuracy against some pretty good gauges I have and it's spot on! Also since the fitting on the pump is a screw on rather than the typical clamp on the air loss on disconnect is very small. Best of all the thing is $12.98.

Since I have the pigtail on the RKC for a Battery Tender I got a similar connector that will connect to the battery tender connector and wired and soldered it up to a female cigarette lighter plug I happened to have and now for less than $20 = elec. pump to top off shocks or tires. Don't know if I would use it for a substantial tire fill but for a top off prolly fine. Also went to the local AutoZone and got a $5 package of approx 1.5" valve extensions to put in the little case, Those allow me to connect to the difficult to access tire valves (don't leave extensions on just attach, fill and remove back to the little case). Toss it in the bags and some add'l peace of mind without the Harley tax. Didn't take pics since it's a pretty simple install.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$