Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ultra ...thanks for the suggestion, the problem is this is battery powered and to complete the circuit I have to put the top on. That leaves the contact points unaccessible so the only way to secure the wires to the contacts is soldering, there are 4 contacts so guessing the right combination will take a lot of soldering and removing with possible damage to the control ...thanks!!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by cybermunster
Ultra ...thanks for the suggestion, the problem is this is battery powered and to complete the circuit I have to put the top on. That leaves the contact points unaccessible so the only way to secure the wires to the contacts is soldering, there are 4 contacts so guessing the right combination will take a lot of soldering and removing with possible damage to the control ...thanks!!
Do you have a multi meter with a continuity meter? Or an Ohm meter? Of so, just put the continuity (Ohm) meter on 2 at a time, then hit the buton on the opener, when you get a beep (continuity) or ohm's show up then those are the 2 that you solder to.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Nutbender
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod for a footboard?

I have also had the burnt rubber issue. I found another US manufacturer on the web. www.rockhardrail.com. I uses this heel guard. What I like about it is the quality, and the ease of mounting. It is very heavy steel. It does not vibrate loose and I have had it for about a year. Also, you do not have to drill holes in your footboard to mount it. You don't even have to take the footboard all the way off the bike to mount it. I am sure there are other good solutions, but this one is the one I prefer. Take a look at the website and see what you think. I also liked that they are also here in Colorado.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

doing the front axle cover now. .35 ea. for 3/4 pvc caps, $5 spray paint, .50 set screws.
paint is drying. just gotta clear them. the 3/4 caps fit tight on the nut side so a press fit may be fine but i still added a set screw. other side took all of 5 min with the large sanding drum on the dremel to open up the indside a little. may add some personal touch thats sitting in mind but ill post the final product when i finish them. got maybe 30 min in them now and that includes 4 coats of gloss black.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by psychocircus
doing the front axle cover now. .35 ea. for 3/4 pvc caps, $5 spray paint, .50 set screws.
paint is drying. just gotta clear them. the 3/4 caps fit tight on the nut side so a press fit may be fine but i still added a set screw. other side took all of 5 min with the large sanding drum on the dremel to open up the indside a little. may add some personal touch thats sitting in mind but ill post the final product when i finish them. got maybe 30 min in them now and that includes 4 coats of gloss black.

Post up some pics when you get it done. I'm curious as to how it will look.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 PM
psychocircus
Road Master

just the gloss black now and it looks sweet! may not finish tonight its got a late start and its after 10, but oh yeah, i will put pics of them finished.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 PM
meyhem
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psychocircus
Suggestion:
Either a small hole for condensation and/or grease on the external axle.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
psychocircus
Road Master

Don't see any reason as the moco ones don't ...if you Gots grease on the outside of the forks at the exposed axle and nut ...you have other issues to fix before putting a cap/cover on you think?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint an eagle beak on the outside of 'em, sell 'em $75 a set. ;>P

Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM
psychocircus
Road Master

slight issue with paint, got too heavy and its been little humid in my basement but damn nice for the cost!

gonna redo them over weekend , need to open up the nut side some more and chamfer the inside so it will sit flush over the flange.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$