Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock rear suspension oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 AM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock rear suspension oil change

Hi Guys
As per Texasbowhunters post I pulled the rear suspension units and change the oil to 7.5 weight shock oil.Here's how I tackled the job.

A) Raised the scoot on my bike lift which left the rear wheel off the ground then lowered it until the rear wheel just took some weight.
B) Removed the left shock from the scoot.
C) Removed the air connection fitting.
D) Placed shock upside down in my hydraulic press with a container under to catch old oil.
E) Depressed the shock to its shortest length ( carefull not to over compress ) Repeated this until all oil was removed. ( about 5 cycles )
F) Filled a plastic bottle eith the new oil ( sauce bottle would work ) connected a clear 10mm-3/8" hose to the bottle nozel ( hose about 12" long )
G) Placed the shock the correct way up ( as it would be installed on the scoot ) into the press.
H) Pushed the other end of the hose into the threaded hole where the air valve normally goes. Hang the bottle higher than the shock.
I ) Compressed the shock and released slowly ( the new oil will be sucked into the shock. ( cycled this about 5 times ) You will notice that the air in the hose will bleed back up to the bottle.
J) Finally compress the shock to its shortest length, Remove hose and install valve.
K) Release the press and install shock to scoot. Now do the other side.

There's probably many ways to tackle the above job, if you have press this seemed the easy way to get the old oil out.

Now the question on everyones mind ( DID IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE )
Yes most certainly did.

The first thing I noticed was that the scoots ride had improved, this was quite noticeable.
The second improvement was that it did not bottom out nearly as often on the big bumps ( might do it again with 10Weight oil to see if it reduces bottoming out even more.
Thirdly and a bit of a suprise is that the high speed wallow was reduced noticably.

Thanks TexasBowhunter for the idea.

GlennsGlide

Old 11-28-2007, 01:27 AM
bobartz
Advanced
Default RE: Stock rear suspension oil change

very good. wonder if regular oil changes would make them last longer. my last set seized up at around 50,000 miles. Not that they should last longer. Most people just run them without realizing they are shot. thanks for the tip Bob

Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Nice report Glen, Could you tell me how many ounces of oil it takes for each shock? Or do you fill them till it runs out when fully compressed? Thanks Dan

Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 AM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Hey D
I have no idea how much oil it takes to fill the shock. I just filled the shock to full when fully compressed that way you will not induce a hydraulic lock situation when the shock fully compresses when riding. I purchased 1LTR of fully synthetic 7.5 Weight shock oil and had plenty left over even when I spilt some during the job. I way 90kg and ran the bike with no air in the shocks and still occasionly bottom out on the big bumps so I thinking 10 Weight maybe more suitable for my riding weight and road conditions we have in Australia ( third world )

Hoping this helps
GlennsGlide

Old 11-28-2007, 04:36 AM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Hi Bob
In my employment I use 32 Weight hydraulic oil constently and have found that hydraulic oil unlike motor oil does tend to evaporate and dry out if spilt on the floor, so I think that it is possible that the oil in suspension shocks will eventually dissapear causing the shocks to sieze up.
So changing out the oil every 20 or 30 thousand miles may actually help the shock last longer ( this is my opinion only ) for what its worth.

GlennsGlide

Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

ORIGINAL: GlennsGlide

Hey D
I have no idea how much oil it takes to fill the shock. I just filled the shock to full when fully compressed that way you will not induce a hydraulic lock situation when the shock fully compresses when riding. I purchased 1LTR of fully synthetic 7.5 Weight shock oil and had plenty left over even when I spilt some during the job. I way 90kg and ran the bike with no air in the shocks and still occasionly bottom out on the big bumps so I thinking 10 Weight maybe more suitable for my riding weight and road conditions we have in Australia ( third world )

Hoping this helps
GlennsGlide
Why do you run them with no air?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 AM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

"I think that it's possible that the oil in suspension shocks will eventually disappear causing the shocks to sieze up."

[sm=wtf.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 11-28-2007, 01:29 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Hi Duracell
I suffer from ducks desease ( *** is to close to the ground ) so the lower the seat height the better for me. I maybe and often are wrong but it is my understanding and as explained by the dealer who sold me the scoot that the air function is mainly to adjust ride height back to standard when carrying extra weight ( pillion, luggage ).I did try all different air pressures to try and reduce bottoming out of the suspension but ended up with a very stiff ride. I havent as yet introduced any air so time will tell if I'm on the right track.

GlennsGlide

Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Do you have question? Donny

Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

I'm doing the same, but I will measure what comes out and put in the same amt. and I will probably use a little air 5psi maybe and try that.

Quick Reply: Stock rear suspension oil change