Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!

Stopped at the dealership today to get some brake pads for my Sportie and was talking with the service writer about the new ABS. Guys with police bikes should know something about this, anyway, I was told that the new ABS will be driving the service cost up for bikes having this option. General brake jobs are almost doubled as the ABS will need to be recalibrated after new pads are installed. Also the calipars are different then standards and the pads cost more. Was even told that anyone who brings the bike in for a wheel/tire change will have to go through a wheel line up and ABS recalibration which adds to the cost.

The system is still to new to determine is actual cost compared to the standard braking system as was told. Guess this is one option that you'll have to keep paying for.

Service manager also mentioned that some are trying to get an insurance break with the new ABS but many companies won't do it... not yet anyway.

No demagraphics for ABS on motorcycles has proven there validity as there is no real motorcycle crash test..?! I thought there was!

So thoes with ABS can expect to spend a little more for wheel and brake work....at the dealership. Check with your dealership for details..

Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!

Hey Doug - whar were ya stationed in the 70's?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
RPMC312
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever dealership told you that is full of BS. We have Harley Police Roadkings at work and the ABS system does not have to checked when putting on new tires or brake pads.Same goes with a car when you change tires or brake pads.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ABS - Not much different to service (replace pads) then any other brake system.... (Pad may be a bit more $$)
ABS on Motorcycles has been out and running for years and IS proven to be better system then the standard Hyd Brake System (when was the last time you locked your rear brake up???)...
(Used by BMW - HONDA - and other Motorcycle Companies it's just that HD always is the last to make a change)

You need to find another Dealer if that's what they're stating...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:12 PM
ext1bab
Cruiser

Gold Wing and BMW have had ABS for years and there is no significant difference in maint. costs for ABS brakes. I have a 2007 SG and it would have been a nice option to get if it was offerred in 2007. Nothing like a little extra insurance that you are not going to lockup your wheel, IMHO.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 PM
gene01
Road Captain

the only time that I can see where you would need to recalibrat the ABS brakes is when you change tire size.... why would the pads change the setup????? the tire size change would change the rate at wich the hub spins and that relationship to the oposing wheel....this would set an ABS failure, I think they are either stupid or thinking they can get away with this BS

Old 11-27-2007, 08:16 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the brake pads should be the same for abs or non abs, the calipers are the same on both. the ABS pickup system rides on the axle. the touring bikes all went with the brembo brakes this year and that may be why the pads cost more, as they are different than past years, but that is the price you pay for progress and safety!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

TexasRedneck..

In the 70's I was homeported in good o'l Norfolk VA, Onboard the USS Boxer LPH4 the on the USS America CVA66 makine Westpac deployments and put off in Denang for COD Rep duties, in Mid 70's,Albany GaRVAH 14, RVAH-3 the to Key West to RVAH-6 and so on and so on..

As far as the dealership giving me BS... I kinda doubt it, as said, it's a new ABS for the general public and no historical info to support it... Just that the dealers said they are getting new directives from the HQ's on services?!!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

BTW... Please don't shoot the messanger!! Just telling you what was discussed and my dealership has always been pretty much up front with my dealings with them.. I know nothing except what I'm told.

One way or the other, unless you have had service done on your ABS system... it's jumping the gun a little calling it BS don't ya think??!!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry but I'm going to jump the gun. The pads are no different, I"ve changed wheels to 21 and 18 no problem works like it did the day it had 16's. Nothing needs to be recalabrated. The only thing thats different is bleeding. He just don't know what he's talking about

Quick Reply: New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!