Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008 | 03:09 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Default RE: New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!

ORIGINAL: MassHD

Is there a full moon tonight or what? First it was the guy who thought the 08 SG is the only bike that has the Fly By Wire set up. Now you have someone telling everybody that you need to recalabrate your abs when you change pads. Guys do your self a favor and buy a service manual and read it. Dont think just because a guy works at a HD dealership he knows what the hell he talking about. Why do you think some guys on this forum use an indy's. It's because there are a lot of hacks out there.
Yeah because indy's have ALL the latest info on new HD parts, systems and procedures, Right!

The ABS bleed procedure takes about 2 minutes to do both ends twice. There is NO recalibration, there is no need to bleed the brakes after a pad change and there doesnt apear to be a need to ever talk to that serv mgr again. He's either FULL of **** or just trying to get you used to the new way he's gonna a$$ rape you.

Dot 5 IS NOT TO BE USED IN ABS SYSTEMS. It will airate due to the rapid pulsations of the soleniods.

Old 03-06-2008 | 03:18 PM
dowork08
Tourer

so bleeding the abs system can be done at home like any other bike or car with abs....I felt there was something fishy stearlers always trying to take our money

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:07 PM
iann8ik
Tourer

i had my bike at the dealer yesterday for 5k service. i mentioned a brake squeel so they pulled the pads and lubed caliper pins F&R - squeel gone. no recalibration necessary.

Old 03-07-2008 | 08:21 AM
hogdoc
Banned

ORIGINAL: dowork08

so bleeding the abs system can be done at home like any other bike or car with abs....I felt there was something fishy stearlers always trying to take our money
Iam talking about the ABS bleed proceedure using Digital Techthat your dealer wanted to charge you for only taking about two minutes. You still bleed the brakes just like any car or truck with ABS.

Old 03-07-2008 | 12:12 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

For what its worth, I sent this email to the service manager at MY dealer:

> Parker,

>
> Regarding the ABS on the 08 models, are their any extra service
> expenses (as opposed to non-abs) involved when you:
>
> 1. pull a wheel (change a tire..etc)
>
> 2. replace the brake pads
>
> 3. need to bleed the brakes for whatever reason
>
> Also, Does the ABS limit your ability to run any after-market wheels?
> I've read that you cant change the wheel diameter, as it can alter
> the calibration of the ABS computer. Or perhaps you cannot change
> wheels at all?

To which I received the following response:

Hi, Kelly Labor prices stay the same with abs as far as service and
maintenance goes. There are custom wheels for abs also size of wheels does
not matter, Dale in our parts department seems to be pretty knowledgeable on
wheels. Thanks, Parker.

I think your dealer is trying to make some extra cash on un-knowing customers.

Old 03-07-2008 | 12:40 PM
twincam47
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ww1flyingace

> wheels at all?

wheels. Thanks, Parker.

I might take another look at this one.....the stock wheels on the tourers are 16 x 3....changing the front to an 18" without changing the back could/would impact the ABS controllers reading of the front andrear wheels and trip the default light inactivating the ABS unit. If the circumference of the wheel is the same then I would say there is not a problem......

The 2008 owners manual "...Changing to different diameter wheels or different tire sizes can alter the rotational speed. This can upset the calibration of the ABS and have an adverse effect on its ability to detect and prevent lockups. Tire inflation pressure that is significantly low also can have an adverse effect.

Old 03-07-2008 | 12:57 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

The only thing the service writers are looking for is his commissionon the write up. There all the same, a nice smile and pat on the back. I'll do my own at least I know it done right.

Old 03-07-2008 | 01:36 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: twincam47

> wheels at all?

wheels. Thanks, Parker.

I might take another look at this one.....the stock wheels on the tourers are 16 x 3....changing the front to an 18" without changing the back could/would impact the ABS controllers reading of the front andrear wheels and trip the default light inactivating the ABS unit. If the circumference of the wheel is the same then I would say there is not a problem......

The 2008 owners manual "...Changing to different diameter wheels or different tire sizes can alter the rotational speed. This can upset the calibration of the ABS and have an adverse effect on its ability to detect and prevent lockups. Tire inflation pressure that is significantly low also can have an adverse effect.

I agree but you drive at diffrent speeds does that affect it too????
I think it is a blurb put out my the manufacture for legal reasons. Like Mc Donalds and CAUTION COFFEE IS HOT!!!!!

Old 03-07-2008 | 08:51 PM
hogdoc
Banned

ORIGINAL: twincam47

> wheels at all?

wheels. Thanks, Parker.

Iam gonna disagree because this is not a linked system, the front brake doesnt affect the rear and visa versa. The system is designed to read wheel lockup based on a magnetic pickup on the wheel bearing. OD of the tire doesnt affect when the bearing is turning or not, it doesaffect rotational speed but that changes with increased or decreased mph anyway.

I agree with 1Harleyrdr that its justlegal BS like all the thousands of words in the service manual about things that can cause serious death or injury!

Old 03-07-2008 | 09:46 PM
ratcat
Tourer

I can tell ya'll that if you open up an ABS system in a car, meaning replace a line, disconecting the abs actuator, or master cylinder, anything up wind of the brakes themselves, It will need to go to the Dealer to bleed the high pressure side of thesystem. I can say this, being a journeymancollision tech of 27 years. I don't do about the harley system though.
As far as saving money on ins.?
Did you know that in the past 10 years, the fatality rate on our nations highways has gone up...in spite of all the new traction control devices and multi system airbags.

Quick Reply: New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!