Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007 | 06:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Default RE: New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!

I don't have an ABS Harley, but have had a BMW with it on for many years and around 50,000 miles. As mentioned, bleeding the brakes is more complicated.My BMW has had just one unscheduled service when the ABS warning light came on. It needed several new parts and a reset, costing roughly 200 USD in total.

Personally I have never locked up the rear wheel on a Harley or a BMW and don't find the ABS to be any use! I wouldn't buy a bike because it had ABS.

Old 11-28-2007 | 07:26 AM
twincam47
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: grbrown

I don't have an ABS Harley, but have had a BMW with it on for many years and around 50,000 miles. As mentioned, bleeding the brakes is more complicated.My BMW has had just one unscheduled service when the ABS warning light came on. It needed several new parts and a reset, costing roughly 200 USD in total.

Personally I have never locked up the rear wheel on a Harley or a BMW and don't find the ABS to be any use! I wouldn't buy a bike because it had ABS.
It aint the rear wheel I would be worried about...its the front slamming you to the ground when you get into one of those ****** and grab situations.
H-D's have had ABS on Police bikes since the 2005MY.....The system for 2008 has been redesigned and gone to the pleasure side. The new controller is manufactured by Delphi and the rest of the system is Brembo. ABS and Non-ABS bikes use the same pads and same calipers. ABS information from the wheels is done with magnetically encoded wheel bearings and an external pick-up that rides on the axle. H-D's recommedation is to never change wheel or tire size because they can alter the rotational speed. This can upset the calibration of the ABS and have an adverse effect on its ability to detect and prevent lockups. There is and will be NO way to alter the calibration for a tire or wheel set up. H-D would only release updated calibration to the system to improve or fine tune the current system at some later time, if necessary. BOTH systems use DOT 4 brake fluid and unlike BMW there is no elaborate brake bleeding with computers and such. The H-D Digital Technician can be used to cycle the solenoids in the ABS controller to assist in bleeding the brakes.

Old 11-28-2007 | 07:58 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: twincam47

ORIGINAL: grbrown

It aint the rear wheel I would be worried about...its the front slamming you to the ground when you get into one of those ****** and grab situations.
H-D's have had ABS on Police bikes since the 2005MY.....The system for 2008 has been redesigned and gone to the pleasure side. The new controller is manufactured by Delphi and the rest of the system is Brembo. ABS and Non-ABS bikes use the same pads and same calipers. ABS information from the wheels is done with magnetically encoded wheel bearings and an external pick-up that rides on the axle. H-D's recommedation is to never change wheel or tire size because they can alter the rotational speed. This can upset the calibration of the ABS and have an adverse effect on its ability to detect and prevent lockups. There is and will be NO way to alter the calibration for a tire or wheel set up. H-D would only release updated calibration to the system to improve or fine tune the current system at some later time, if necessary. BOTH systems use DOT 4 brake fluid and unlike BMW there is no elaborate brake bleeding with computers and such. The H-D Digital Technician can be used to cycle the solenoids in the ABS controller to assist in bleeding the brakes.
Spoken like someone that works at Harley

Old 11-28-2007 | 08:05 AM
twincam47
Road Captain

You Think? Naw, Most of it is located in the owners manual. The rest I just thought up to increase my post count....

Old 03-05-2008 | 08:16 PM
dowork08
Tourer

heres my question with the abs system, i worked for chrysler and worked on many abs systems and never once had to use a computer to bleed the brakes, whats so special about this system, is it just another ploy for the stealer to take our money????

Old 03-05-2008 | 08:27 PM
iann8ik
Tourer

DOT4 in the 2008 ABS system.

Old 03-05-2008 | 09:14 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Definitely DOT 4 I just changed rear pads and the only think at all ABS related was making sure a sensor wire was out of the way. I did not need to bleed the system and have not read up on that in the MANUAL yet. This job was really no different than doing a rear brake pad change on my 03 heritage....

Old 03-05-2008 | 10:12 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Is there a full moon tonight or what? First it was the guy who thought the 08 SG is the only bike that has the Fly By Wire set up. Now you have someone telling everybody that you need to recalabrate your abs when you change pads. Guys do your self a favor and buy a service manual and read it. Dont think just because a guy works at a HD dealership he knows what the hell he talking about. Why do you think some guys on this forum use an indy's. It's because there are a lot of hacks out there.

Old 03-06-2008 | 04:37 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

I've read just about everything there is to read regarding the ABS in the '08 Touring service manual. The only thing I came across was the instruction to check the ABS with a Digital Technician II scan tool after bleeding and refilling the brake system, but even this isn't absolutely necessary because the ABS checks itself when you start the bike. The "recalibration" statement is absolutely incorrect aka BS.

Old 03-06-2008 | 08:20 AM
TampaJim
Road Master

Sounds like your dealer is feeding you BS so they can charge a few extra bucks.

Quick Reply: New ABS maintenance and upkeep cost?!