Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Screaming Eagle Outer Cam Bearing Plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Screaming Eagle Outer Cam Bearing Plate

In 99 the twin cam had all those problems with the outer cam bearings. The Moco finally got it right with the right style of beaings. Now in 08 they discontinued the bearings all together an opted for the cams shafts to ride on a film of oil in the "parent material" of the lower cases. Now in the supplement cataloge they come out with a screaming eagle outer cam plate with pressed in oilite bushings for $329.00. Does anyone find this strange????????????

Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Velocity1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Screaming Eagle Outer Cam Bearing Plate

Yes, strange to say the least. Planned obsolescence maybe? Sell more parts, but for $329.00 you can buy the improved SE oil lite bushing version that will buy you some additional time before you have to do a complete retro-fit to the old bearing style cam plate....??? I can't figure out what they're doing. Maybe they're not sure. We'll know in a couple of years how well this new design holds up and whether 07 / 08's are the years to stay away from unless the cam plates have been changed. Don't get me wrong, I hope for the sake of all the HD loyalists that plunked down their hard earned money for a new bike with this cam plate in it,that it performs flawlessly for a long time, but I have my doubts. JMHO..

Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think they are just trying to build a better engine by taking out some parts that proved to be weak links. Sporties have had bushings for 50 years and seem to work with that set up.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I just recently noticed this cam plate too in my 08 "wish book".

It reminded me of gas turbine shaft bushings. Some turbines, like those used in standby prime mover applications use ball bearings on shafts. The continuous duty gas turbines are equipped with bushings instead but they are pre-lubed prior to starting.

Starting the Twin-Cam without pre-lubing the shaft and bushing would be a concern to me – especially after winter storage.

I dunno, I would have to do some more research before I would consider this accessory.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what would it undertake to add this to an engine? How many hours of labor?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:40 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hate to pp this on you but the 07 had the same cam plate with no bearings. I seen it on my 07Fxdwg when my builder did the 103 build. Instead of buying a Se cam plate, look at the new Andrews cam plate.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0612_...kit/index.html

Old 11-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: cardboard

Hate to pp this on you but the 07 had the same cam plate with no bearings. I seen it on my 07Fxdwg when my builder did the 103 build. Instead of buying a Se cam plate, look at the new Andrews cam plate.

Andrews doesn't make a cam plate. They only make the conversion cams to retrofit the newer roller chains, oil pumpand tensioners to the pre-07 twin cam bikes. All of the other parts shown including the cam plate are stock 07 HD parts you have to aquire from the dealer.

Rick

Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ought to tear into a modern car engine these days too. Wont find many with bearings in them, just lots of shafts spinning in bare aluminum "bearings". Dont get sloppy on oil change intervals.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

ORIGINAL: alexcue

what would it undertake to add this to an engine? How many hours of labor?
Techs would charge 3-4 hours labor. It would be quicker if you had adjustable pushrods.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Egldr05

ORIGINAL: cardboard

Andrews doesn't make a cam plate. They only make the conversion cams to retrofit the newer roller chains, oil pumpand tensioners to the pre-07 twin cam bikes. All of the other parts shown including the cam plate are stock 07 HD parts you have to aquire from the dealer.

Rick
Its suppose to update Pre 06-07 bikes with a cam plate, chains, tensioners, cams etc.
HD changed the cam plate, the kind of chains used, positions of the tensioners and everything. The new chains are a different kind of chain so they don't wear the tensioners as much. The tensioners are not required to hold as much tension on the chain.Wasn't sure if you could specify if you could git the cam with the kit that you wanted.

Quick Reply: New Screaming Eagle Outer Cam Bearing Plate