Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tryin to help a friend

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tryin to help a friend

I know this topic has been beat up and down but this one is a little strange. My friend has an 05 Fatboy FI with V&H Big Radius pipes, K&N air filter and factory download. He has had it since new.It ran great with just the factory download until the last couple of months. Now he'sgotthe dreaded decel popping. We cleaned the air filter, put dry gas in, replaced plugsand checked for exhaust leaks. What else could be the problem?We know heneedsto fix this before installing any fuel management system (Sert, PCIII), as he never had this problem before. Nothing was changed. Any ideas?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Tryin to help a friend

He doesn't need to fix the problem before he gets a PCIII. The PCIII will fix the problem with the correct map and maybe a little tweaking.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for a Vac Leak @ or around the Intake.....

Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Check for a Vac Leak @ or around the Intake.....
Yes, you can do this by running the bike, and spraying starting fluid in the suspected area, and when you hear the idle rise you found the leak. Ultimately though he will need some sort of fuel management system on the bike.....unless the DL from the dealer your talking about is the SERT....???

Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I had an 05 Nightrain with the exact same setup. Mine developed a real bad intermitten stumble and bad decel popping. Took it toa dealer and they found a bad fuel regulator at 44,000 miles. Not sure if that's your problem but it fixed mine.

Laughed at them when they kept asking me what kind of fuel management system I was using because they couldn't find one. Said I had to have one with the stage 1 air cleaner and V&H pipes. The dealer I boughtit fromdownloaded a map direct to the stock ecm. It ran great and got 50 miles to the gallon. Saved me money as I had no plans on changing anything.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't think of a vacuum leak. That would be easy to check. Any ideas how I can check the fuel regulator because I took the bike out and did notice the engine miss a little?

Mannish Hawg, he never had a problem before. The factory ecm download worked great for him for three years and he wanted to fix the problem first before introducing any other variable.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:50 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Decel pop is caused by a lean condition created by suddenly shuting down the throttle , something has changed if it did not do it before. A lean condition can be caused by more air coming in, or more exhaust flowing out faster. Has he replaced the air filter element with another? Or it could be his exhaust has burned out some and this is the cause. Even new bikes with stock muffs decell pop if you drop the throttle quick to off, you just dont hear it thru the stock muffs.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain

Yeah gunrunner, I was thinkin the same thing. Maybe he blew out some of his exhaust packing (if it even has any). I'm not sure if those pipes came with any packing. They are pretty loud. We could check that.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hardly Dangerous

I know this topic has been beat up and down but this one is a little strange. My friend has an 05 Fatboy FI with V&H Big Radius pipes, K&N air filter and factory download. He has had it since new.It ran great with just the factory download until the last couple of months. Now he'sgotthe dreaded decel popping. We cleaned the air filter, put dry gas in, replaced plugsand checked for exhaust leaks. What else could be the problem?We know heneedsto fix this before installing any fuel management system (Sert, PCIII), as he never had this problem before. Nothing was changed. Any ideas?
Decel popping is caused by two and only two things:

1) lean running
2) air leak, likely right at the head connection

PCIII can reset if there's a power spike. Have it checked for setting/programming retention. Obviously check for leaks.