Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats involved with upgrading brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats involved with upgrading brakes

ona 04 EG.. Is it just pads or calipers or the whole system... I just dont care for the stock system and was wondering what's involved in upgrading the brakes.....

Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Whats involved with upgrading brakes

I just rebuiltthe front calipers on my '04 police model EG, and will be doing the rear caliper this week-end--the change in the fronts was substantial based on my unscientific hard braking tests. If you are experiencing longer than normal travel on the front brake lever, it is more than likely due to brake dust and other crud preventing the piston calipers from extending--and on a 4 year old bike there is a lot of accumulated crud in there.

Also, stainless brake lines would be useful, as are Lyndal pads if for no other reason tha they produce less dust than the HD units.

Perhaps others will chime in about six-piston calipers, etc., but for me rebuilding the stock calipers was useful.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's as easy as the Lyndall pads or go to an after market brake caliper. Check with Shooter64 on the members list and he'll help you out with the right choice and price.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

As stated before, I do offer members a discount + free shipping on Lyndall Racing Brakes. How far do you want to go with your upgrade?

You may wish to upgrade your calipers to some 6-Piston calipers (find them on e-Bay for between $25-$50) than maybe move to a larger set (pair) of rotors for a very good braking system that will haul your bike down to speed. This system requires adapters to move the calipers out to accept the 12.6" rotors.

You may wish to conceder purchasing Brembo V-Rod take-offs or the new 2008 FL Brembo’s which are the same calipers. You would need to buy new 300mm rotors but no adapters are needed with your bike. Just direct bolt up on your bike.

You can buy the rotors either on line at other places or through me as we manufacture them in partnership with Paul from Lyndall racing brake and myself. They are made in N. Miami and we are offering either 300mm or 320mm Stainless Steel real floating rotors with aluminum carriers for direct bolt-up to a HD wheel. Of course the Metal Matrix Composite Ceramic rotor is also available. Need help, do not hesitate to call toll free 1-866-899-5962

Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

There is quite a bit that can be done to upgrade the brakes....it just depends on how far you want to go and how much $$$ you want to spend.
You could just upgrade to stainless lines, and that alone will give you a better all around "feel", or you could change everything from the rotors all the way up to the master cylinder, and top it all off with DOT-5.
I would think inyour case a new set of rotors (full floating) and new high performance pads along with the braided stainless lines would make a noticeable improvement in stopping distance. If you wanted to go a bit more.....then yes you would need to replace the calipers....just remember if you replace the calipers with a set of 6 piston units everything will have to be matched to the caliper....rotor size....pads. I didn't even think about it, but if you have twin disk already....you have to X@ everything. If you have a single caliper front....than even just installing dual disks up front would help a bunch!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 AM
swipter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

As stated before, I do offer members a discount + free shipping on Lyndall Racing Brakes. How far do you want to go with your upgrade?

You may wish to upgrade your calipers to some 6-Piston calipers (find them on e-Bay for between $25-$50) than maybe move to a larger set (pair) of rotors for a very good braking system that will haul your bike down to speed. This system requires adapters to move the calipers out to accept the 12.6" rotors.

You may wish to conceder purchasing Brembo V-Rod take-offs or the new 2008 FL Brembo’s which are the same calipers. You would need to buy new 300mm rotors but no adapters are needed with your bike. Just direct bolt up on your bike.

You can buy the rotors either on line at other places or through me as we manufacture them in partnership with Paul from Lyndall racing brake and myself. They are made in N. Miami and we are offering either 300mm or 320mm Stainless Steel real floating rotors with aluminum carriers for direct bolt-up to a HD wheel. Of course the Metal Matrix Composite Ceramic rotor is also available. Need help, do not hesitate to call toll free 1-866-899-5962
Never looked but I didn't know you could get 6 piston calipers for $25-$50. That seems awful cheap. How is the quality. Can I assume these are not PM?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Never looked but I didn't know you could get 6 piston calipers for $25-$50. That seems awful cheap. How is the quality. Can I assume these are not PM?” Yes you can. I do on my own personal bikes. You just have to know where and how to look. I am not talking about how to use e-Bay but what to look for. If you expand your horizons there is a great many projects you can do if you are handy.

I am not talking about PM calipers. Yes, they(PM) are good equipment, no question and some very nice people. I am only saying that there are other options available. When I started in motorcycling in 1965, there was only one option, which was make it yourself. As far as quality goes, there really is no difference to speak about except PM is billet & chrome. Again, great product. I have a set of the PM's laying around for a future project. The other calipers are cast made.

Please look at the photos I sent you and put everything I wrote on a list than if you are energetic enough just go for it. That is the fun part. The reason why you did not hear about it is because
1) No monetary value to tell you about it if a person is a smart retailer.
2) Many do not think nor fabricate, they just look in catalogs and take their profit.
3) Many retailers do not know how to really build a bike, take some of the TV shows that just put together a bike from parts.

Remember, everything I am writing you as far as calipers, I do not sell. As far as the other parts, there are many who sell similar dimensioned equipment including Harley. You do not need me for that part either.

There are many other after market companies who sell calipers also as well as PM. I may suggest trying to use a site sponsor if you can as thse people pay the bills so you can learn many things. Support your site!

The purpose of this is to inform you of your options.

BTW what biz44 wrote is also great information. Good luck!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:59 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$$$$$$ that is what it takes to upgrade brakes. I too have never seen a set of 6 piston calipers that fit a Harley for $50.00. The stock brakes you have are really good. I run Jaybrakes on my Road King and have spent the big bucks on a bagger I'm building by going with all Brembo components and having the tubes modified by Traxxion.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:06 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: gunnert

$$$$$$ that is what it takes to upgrade brakes. I too have never seen a set of 6 piston calipers that fit a Harley for $50.00. The stock brakes you have are really good. I run Jaybrakes on my Road King and have spent the big bucks on a bagger I'm building by going with all Brembo components and having the tubes modified by Traxxion.
Look at some of my past posts and you will find them, If you want direct bolt on calipers go to the catalog and pay the price. I do not. The cartridges are fairly good for modifying a stock looking bike. You will be surprised and happy. Because you have not seen things does not mean they do not exist. That is the purpose of this forum. BTW I have never paid more than $50/pair for 6-Piston differental caliper. Than again, I make my stuff for myself & I make it to perform the best for what is out there.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never liked the brake performance on my 03 RK either. I tried going to differant pads (currenly running Lyndal gold) and switched to the HD floting rotors and installed ss lines. All changes helped but,I am still disappointed in the performance.
You can do what I am in the process of doing changing out my complete system for the Brembo set up from the 08's. The front calibers and rotors fit andonly the 2 long mounting bolts need to be changed to the shorter ones. The master cylinder off an 08 fits in place of my 03 unit. You would need to flush your brake lines or replace them as the 08 uses Dot 4, yours uses Dot 5 and they do not mix. If youchange the rear then you would need to have the calibermount bored out to fit your axle and you will need a longer spacer (.71) for the right side, I had an extra left side spaced and cut that down. The 08 rotor fits without change. Not sure yeton the 08 rear master cylinder as that unit bolts directly to the frame plate. I will be picking up a new master cylinder in December and checking to see how best to mount it before I cutoff the current L bracket mount.If it doesn't look like a good fit I will just rebuild my unit.

Quick Reply: Whats involved with upgrading brakes