Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory shut down

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:40 PM
bikenuts
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Factory shut down

I love the HD business model. They are marketing geniuses who have created "brand allegiance" and awareness rivaled only by Rolex. Many metrics offer larger, smoother engines and a host of other features for much lower prices, but we continue to pay for the overpriced HDs because we want to! There is a "harley mystique" and a 105 year old history and tradition that is alluring. I fought off the urge as long as I could and finally capitulated last month when I bought my '07 Ultra. I sold my GL1800 a few months before because it bored me after one year. It ran circles around the Ultra as a touring bike. But I have always loved HD styling, and I'm a sucker for things "nostalgic". I'm even learning to enjoy the near deafening sound of my newly installed V&H Ovals.

And that is the secret, I believe to HD success. For those who want a Harley, nothing else will suffice. Honda owners could be just as happy with a Yamaha or Suzuki. But Harley owners are fiercely loyal to the brand, and NEVER underestimate the importance of that fact! Want proof? Visit one of the newer HD mega-stores in your area. It seems like 50% of the floor space is dedicated to apparel and accessories. And that's because we have to buy leather jackets, shirts, boots, etc., with the logo announcing how proud we are to be part of the "family". NO METRIC BIKE MAKER HAS BEEN ABLE TO CREATE BRAND MERCHANDISING EVEN CLOSE TO THIS! I give HD a lot of credit for understanding their market and doing what they can to protect the brand and the prices to the extent that they can. GENIUS!

It is because of this "unique" position in the market that I am confident in HDs future and the survival of their dealers. And yes, dealers may have to be a little more aggressive to get through the current economic trough. That's what business owners do. In the end, HD, its employees, dealers, and customers will all survive, just fine. And I suspect most of us will still be on this forum complaining about the heat, vibration, etc, etc, and loving those overpriced, beautiful, chrome laden, technically challenged beasts.