Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory shut down

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:30 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Factory shut down

HD is attempting to violate allmarket rules by refusing to reduce prices to clear excess inventory.....Instead, they shut down 5 plants at worker expence DURING THE HOLIDAYS......Merry Christmas, Harley workers....Welcome to twisted corp America.

HD's strategyis based on the IDEA that America will forever continue to pay TOO much for their bikes....Historically(10 years ago) Harleys were in short supply and that caused their prices to go thru the roof.....Now they have more Harleys than they can sell in a financial market running on fumes.

I'm watching close to see how their gamble turns out.....Odds are this time next year Harley will be owned by Arabs.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well there goes my FUN MONIES for this quarter again....
Gotts to feel bad for those waiting on there production ordered bike or the guys that have ordered hard parts like color matched tins and such...

Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
GreyGhost
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer here in NW FL. has quite a few bikes, alot of baggers in fact.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Gotts to feel bad for those waiting on there production ordered bike or the guys that have ordered hard parts like color matched tins and such...
gotta feel bad for all those employees laid off for a week. be kinda hard on most of us if we "lost" a week's pay. they're being penalized for management's screw up.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, was at the dealer at, they had 7 of the 08 touring models on the floor. Supply and demand, it is a tightrope. If the supply is too short, then they start to lose sales to the competition, if demand drops, sales keep dropping, but historically, HD has been able to walk that tightrope as the demand remains high for their product.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

ORIGINAL: aviator

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

gotta feel bad for all those employees laid off for a week. be kinda hard on most of us if we "lost" a week's pay. they're being penalized for management's screw up.
How is a weak economy HD Managements fault?

Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Bluerose

My dealer told me he had at least 2 bikes in the style I was looking for. Thinking I might have the upper hand at the moment....looking to deal this time.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:52 PM
radrex
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owned by the arabs?? who says it already isn't... It is a publicly traded company - who knows who actually owns all the shares... ?? Don't like it - buy some HD stock. I have some - its real cheap right now.

Let me tell you my friend - there ain't too many saudis and all their money -( or most of it) is in dollars - and they don't keep it in cash - hell they probably own your freaking mortgage - them or the chinese. Believe me we sold out to all these guys - years and years ago. And its a good thing cause they could really screw us over otherwise. They can't screw us - because they would just be screwing themselves. Monetary integration - we are one big family. Like it or not.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"How is it HD management's fault"

I'm glad you ask easy questions.

HD, unlike any other MOCO, refuses to help their dealers when the markets slumps.....Our domestic auto makers always offer incentives to their dealers when the market tanks....No such thing EVER with HD.

Don't believe me? Just ask the general sales manager or owner of any HD store.....They will tell you they are on their own-out in the cold.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith
I'm watching close to see how their gamble turns out.....Odds are this time next year Harley will be owned by Arabs.
The way that I figure the American Public has spoken, H-D has found the point of "diminishing returns"

So they scale back. Not a problem the way I see it. Its a gamble from the MOCO stand point to keep prices up. After all those bikes on the floor still will sell sooner or later...

And if H-D is Arab owned this time next year..... all those "well" paid and benifet compensated "Union" United States workers will be out of a job.

The Arabs will save MOCO even more money by moving production to The Black Hole of Calcutta.

You will have your Ultra being made by 8yr oldchildern in sweatshopsbeing feed one serving of red beans an rice a day......

Can you say OUT SOURCING!

Do you think the gamble will work?

Quick Reply: Factory shut down