Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Bluerose
Default Paint question

Ok this might be a dumb question.... but if you are planning on painting a bike and the base color for what you want to customize it to is white, would you buy a white bike or will they have to just paint the whole thing and it won't matter?

Like I said stupid question but I was planning on having a custom paint job done....but some other things have come up and it might take me a bit so I'm debating on buying a color.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Paint question

You would be better off startiing with a White one (easier cover) - But the best person to ask would be the painter - See which way they would recommend....

Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Bluerose

You would think but doen't a quality paint job usually start with a stripped shell? I was going to just buy black and avaoid the color cost, but if I can't get it painted right off I was thinking blue or white.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
springerGT
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color background custom job do you have in mind? That would make a difference.

GT

Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad's SG is black pearl. My painter just scuffed down the pieces that were going to be painted, shot the fire on them, cleared and buffed. Saved a bunch over a full paint job, plus we didn't have to remove the rear fender. I was in the same boat when I bought my RG. I was gonna buy black, but I really liked the Candy Sunglo so we're using that and working down. Again big savings, no rear fender removal, and a big bonus for me is I can buy a tourpak painted to match from Harley and not have the expense of painting it.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Bluerose

Actaully going with about 3 colors for the base from top to bottom --> the top including the tour pak will be white then either blue or light brown (haven't decided) then a dark blue.....going to have blue roses too!

Have the design thought out just have to get the $$ after changing bikes.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Not always... They may take the top coat (clear) and smooth then rough out and paint... If it's a different color then they will normally prime it also... Remember HD paint is normally 3 stage paint

Old 11-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Bluerose

So maybe white would be the best color? Almost wish they still had the Glaciar White...love that blue tint to it.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Yea... Was a very nice color... But as I said before - Call the people that's going to do the painting and ask them what they recommend....

Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Bluerose

Haven't picked anyone out yet....have a feeling that is going to be a chore. Roses can be very hard so I have a lot of foot work to do.

Quick Reply: Paint question