Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pewter Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pewter Paint Question

Got a great deal on a set of lowers for the SG. My bike is painted in the pewter denim. I will have to have the lowers re-painted. Most of you know what the finish is like. If the lowers were sanded and blasted with a walnut shell type medium, do you think it will have the mat like surface? And can be painted afterwards and clear coated?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Pewter Paint Question

Sand and paint, pewter is NOT cleared.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get real close to the gloss level of those colors using a flat clear, PPG's DCU 2060, I use it on rocker panels and lower bumper covers and/or where the color is flat, not glossy, typically found on older european model cars.
you can leave it in basecoat only with no clear, but bare basecoat will not last very long.
I'll call my jobber tomorrow to find out exactly how PPG recommends to refinish these flat colors and post what they say.

K.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Turtleman: the HD paint book gives the pewter denim part no. as 98609CHH and says that color REQUIRES application of Denim Clear PN 98609CLR. The paint will also require urethane activator PN 99825-02. I'm no painter; just providing what the HD Paint book states: the official title of which is '1989-2007 Harley-Davidson Painted Parts Catalog' should you check with your dealer's parts guys.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:23 PM
psalm91
Advanced

You will have no problem painting the lowers. Just like what was said above, PPG sells a flat N flex clear 2060. Seal them, base them, and put two good coats of clear on them. Just be warned, try and keep the booth as clean as possible, whatever dirt shows up is there for good, no buffing on the deniem colors. PPGs flat clear matches perfectly to the Harley clear, and its alot more user friendly. Just make sure your painter really shakes it up good. It takes a special hardner also.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 PM
brinks13081
Cruiser

I was told by the dealer that the Denim bikes do have a clear on them, they're just very light.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can Paint or Powdercoat with NO PROBLEMS... NO CLEARCOAT!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:42 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pappy, How do you powdercoat plastic parts?

edit; how do you bake the powdercoat on plastic parts?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:05 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain

Once again you guys are the greatest, thanks for all the help. Will post pictures as soon as they are done.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:29 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turtleman - I would strongly recommend having your lowers powder coated becuase of the durability factor. You can match the color and gloss level VERY close and not have to worry about stone chips later! There are semi-gloss and matte finish clears in powder coat as well.

kansasroadking - There IS a powder coating process to powder coat plastic. However, it requires a liquid coating to enhance powder transfer, pre-heating the parts and a special powder that is designed for that application. The cure temps pare obviously much lower for plastic coatings so standard powder coating won't work. Good luck finding a custom coater shop that does that. The technology is still relatively new and as you can see, it requires specialized materials and equipment to apply.

Quick Reply: Pewter Paint Question