Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prblem solved for Auxiliary running light/brake/turn signal conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
dgp575
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary running/turn/brake light issue

Originally Posted by skratch
because it still gives you the added visibility of the turn signals acting as brake lights also. if you take the module out, you don't get that.

some people feel that there is not enough contrast between the running lights function and the brake lights. doing this mod insures that the cager behind you knows that you hit the brakes (assuming of course that he is paying attention).

here's a quick step by step. the only credit i take for this is copying and saving..... i'm glad that there are others out there that are smarter than me to figure this kind of stuff out

i am posting this in case anyone else had the same problem as me and did not have access to the images referenced in the first few posts. if you did, then i apologize, and you can ignore these.....

This is what I follwed on both bikes but only one worked

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a module last month and the wire colors have changed from yours. But I did use pin position and I still get the same response. I get running lights for the turn and brake and also brake for the same. At one point I just cut three wires and left them hang and everything still the same. The module has more pins than the bike which I don't understand. I like the contrast of the amber when the brake comes on that is what I am looking for but I think I have to give up on it. I have a friends module which works fine re-wired and when I copy it, nothing changes,

Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just rec'd my module today. I don't want the signal lights working as running lights as I want the guy behind me to have no doubt I am braking. Problem here is the module I rec'd has 8 wires on each connector (16 on the Module) and the colours are not very obvious like the one in the pictures. Not even sure if I cut the right blue as it has silver writing on it. The other blue wires if you look careful enough are obviously blue but seem to have other colour line on them. Anyone else find this? I haven't tried it out yet on my 09 UC as I'm a bit nervous as to what is going to happen if I have a wire crossed. Was hoping someone else has come across this and can confirm how to proceed.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My post right above you says the same. If I knew this I would have passed and saved $60. Something must be different since I did it by pin location and it still does not work like the old one I had. I tried many combinations and finally give up. Watching for solution, Good luck.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 AM
puzzlsherm
Stage I

Thanks Skratch & Dpg575 for posting. Will be trying this mod on a 2002 Electra glide with newer module.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez, I was going to upgrade my earlier turn/brake unit to one with the running light. Have not seen the brake mode on the running light units. Probably will not use the newer running light unit if the brake lights are only slightly brighter than the running units. I use the amber bulbs with clear lenses. Not DOT legal however been followed by Nevada Highway Patrol and City police while braking and never had an issue. Think it's like the law requiring front plates on a car. Probably 30% don't run them. Transit buses have flashing amber brake lights. At night the amber brake lights really get noticed. By me anyway.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 01-11-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been doing some research into this and found out the following information. Unfortunately this mod only works on bikes prior to 08. HD must of made some electrical mods on the 08's and later. Also the original part #69461-06 is no longer available and was replaced with part #69461-06A which was the part the mod was done on to turn off the running lights. Now the part # is 69461-06B. The mod will not work on this part. Does anyone have the mod to turn the running lights off or an idea how to figure out which wires to jump?

Old 01-15-2011, 07:21 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no electrical guru, by a long shot, and I haven't read the entire thread but I think I saw a solution to your problem on this site

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...gnal_retro.htm

hope it helps

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 AM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a much easier and a method that is just as safe as the old module. Using the new style module. Remove the bulb from the center big brake lite, not the turnsignal bulbs, the big center one. Cut one of the bulb wires, determine the one that illuminates the Running lite, by using test clips hooked to a battery. What this gives you is Running Lights only on the side signals and nothing in the middle UNTIL you hit the brakes. Then the center goes from not on to Full Bright Brake Lite, the to sides will now be you running lights and brake lights too. This is the easiest and quickest fix yet.
I got this idea from the 10 and 11 Street Glides that do not have a center brake lite on the fender anymore. So I got thinking, just cut the bulb wire and eliminate the running light in the center and let it brake only. At night from behind it resembles the new 10 and 11 FLHX models. Just my two cents!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM
dgp575
6th Gear

Thanks for the help and Ideas, but if anyone hears how to modify the 69461-06B let me know, the one I installed on my wifes bike was the 69461-06A modle and works great mine is the 69461-06B I have been looking at all my local dealers but all they have are the newer style, I love having all the lights on at the back end just seams like the running lights are to bright and not enough difference between the 2 to notice

RIDE SAFE & HAVE FUN

Quick Reply: prblem solved for Auxiliary running light/brake/turn signal conversion kit