Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter pegs

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 02:13 PM
ESS9
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter pegs

hey there all, can any one tell me how to get the stock ruber black shifting pegs off. just got new ones and wouldl ike to change them

Old 12-25-2005, 02:36 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,519 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Default RE: Shifter pegs

They unscrew, you might have to cut the rubber off; sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. The factory usually uses loctite on bolts. A good pair of vice grips on them might get them off.

Old 12-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey Lee,

Welcome to the forum. You should go over to the New Members Thread and introduce yourself to everyone. This is a great place with nice helpful people.

Be careful when removing the stock pegs. Like Jeepster stated the factory uses a boat load of red locktite. Either way you do it you are probably going to destroy the stock pegs (oh well, you'll never want them on your bike again). Try placing the ViceGrips as close to the shifter levers as you can (leave the rubber on) and give them a healthy twist. If that doesn't work, cut the rubbers off and repeat previous step. I twisted one off on a 2000 Ultra and the dealer saved me some money by drilling out the stud. Hope it goes OK for you.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Jonpaul
Cruiser

I used a small hand held propane torch aimed at the base of the peg, at the screw. It burned off the red locktite and I easily unscrewed the peg.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jonpaul

I used a small hand held propane torch aimed at the base of the peg, at the screw. It burned off the red locktite and I easily unscrewed the peg.

Now that's a good idea. Never thought of that. Damn locktite can be a real pain in the A$$!

Terry
[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-25-2005, 07:16 PM
ttmctoad
Novice

I just did this on friday. Had to swap out the stock shift peg to one of Bubba's extended shifters. I put the peg in a vice and turned the shifter and it worked like a champ. Installed stock peg in new shifter, no problem. I didn't see any remnants of red loctite.
Good Luck,
Toad

Old 12-26-2005, 11:59 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Old 12-27-2005, 11:41 AM
W2KOP
Cruiser

Hey ESS9,

The easiest way, if you are not reusing them, is cut the rubber of the peg, and then grip it with a vice grip to unscrew. If you are then installing custom HD parts or aftermarket, the majority of the pegs have an allen bolt on the end, making it real easy to install and remove. Just make sure that you use Permatex Thread Lock on them (blue). By the sound of it, you are a fellow LEO, NYPD. I had a lot of friends in Truck 10, but they are all retired now. Great to see you on the Forum. I am retired from Hwy #3 back in Aug. 03, also from LI. Stay safe, and hope to hear from you on the forum.

Kenny 98 Road King

Old 12-27-2005, 04:08 PM
ESS9
Advanced

thank you all, the vise grips the th trick. and i was able to save the origanl, ( just in case i wan them on the back again-yea right)

Old 12-27-2005, 05:09 PM
MAGOO

I used the heat method also, works good.

Quick Reply: Shifter pegs