Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK custom & beach bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:04 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: RK custom & beach bars

ORIGINAL: skratch

yes, the custom comes stock with beach bars....
Whew...I'm glad somebody finally clarified that for me. I was under the impression that the Custom came stock with beach bars. I'm still confused as to why some feel the need to add them. Maybe it's not beach bars that they're seeking?

Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BergeRON

If you already have a Road King Custom, You have beach bars...right? I thought the bars I have on my '07 RKCustom are beach bars. Please Corect me if I'm wrong.

What Harley put on the FLHRS is a beach bar in name only, they are not even close to the real thing, in pullback, rise, width,etc. Not knocking them, but they're just not beach bars because harley says they are.......I think they just wanted to use the name to make the handlebars sound a little cooler

Look at xxxflhrci's pictures above, those are beach bars, nothing like the stock bars on the Custom

Old 11-23-2007, 03:50 PM
mountian man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you to be right Sam.I believe my bars are close to being the Reach bars.I did'nt buy it new so someone could hace changed them.What I am trying to do is set back comfortable against my backrest without leaning forward.And have good hand control.
I just think the true beach bars have a cool look,But I don;t think they will work for me.I am seriously considering the 10" Apes.Can anyone tell who might make the best ones or will they all be the same

Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mountian man

I believe you to be right Sam.I believe my bars are close to being the Reach bars.I did'nt buy it new so someone could hace changed them.What I am trying to do is set back comfortable against my backrest without leaning forward.And have good hand control.
I just think the true beach bars have a cool look,But I don;t think they will work for me.I am seriously considering the 10" Apes.Can anyone tell who might make the best ones or will they all be the same
http://www.wild1inc.com/handlebars.html scroll down to WO515 (there are also pics to give you an idea what they will look like on your bike). A lot of people, including me, like the stuff made by Wild 1. Are they any better than most? I think so (but who knows really).....I've had 4 sets from them andthe quality and customer service has been excellent.....so why mess with a good thing.

They have a lot of bars that work well with the RC and the 1 1/4 looks good compared to the 1" (I prefer the 518's, that is what's in my sig pic below), take your time and look at the styles and measurements (the link for the measurements is at the top of the page). If you really want to "sit back" look at the WO508's, I think they are a little too close together (similiar to the stock RC Custom bar) but they reach back so far that you will definitely be sitting back and they work well for a lot of people...especially if your arm length is less than 31"

Old 11-23-2007, 07:17 PM
mountian man
Cruiser

Thanks for the site and the help,Another thing ,Is it important to fill the bars with lead shot like I read about some people doing.I think you supose to caulk one end fill with lead shot and caulk the other,Is that right.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The '05 Road King Classic I rode for a week had beach bars. Loved the looks but found them really uncomfortable because the grips are pointed back at you rather than being parallel to your knuckles. You have to bend your wrists at an unnatural angle to use the clutch and brakes and it gets tiring fast. Also tiring on the highway because the wind pressure forces your hands backward and off the bars if you don't keep your grip tight. The bars on the '08 RK I rode were much better.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 PM
mountian man
Cruiser

It looks like after checking out the Wild 1 Chubby collection,And thanks to Sam,Its between the 508's or the 518's.These look like the choice for me.Thanks for all the help,BTW Man thats a great web site

Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mountian man

It looks like after checking out the Wild 1 Chubby collection,And thanks to Sam,Its between the 508's or the 518's.These look like the choice for me.Thanks for all the help,BTW Man thats a great web site
Yeah, it is a pretty cool site, well put together

As for your other question, I wouldn't put anything in my bars (don't forget you are going to be running cables through them), the stock risers won't hold the weight, you could end up with worse problems. I never found the vibration to be a problem.......unless you're sitting still, in that case, I simply use my foot brake and let go of the hand brake (yeah I know, it's an over-simplified solution....but it works). IMHO you really only notice how much touring bikes vibrate when you are holding the clutch "and" thefront brake.

Remember, if you go with the 508's or 518's you will need to change your throttle cables (clutch and brake will be fine), It's easier to find cables for a RK Classic, when you are talking to suppliers, so tell them you want cables that are 4" over stock (or - new lenghth - 43") . Even though I am in Canada,I get all my cables from a dealer in Texas, because his prices have been so good, let me know if you need his website.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:02 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sam

Even though I am in Canada,I get all my cables from a dealer in Texas, because his prices have been so good, let me know if you need his website.
sam, go ahead and post it, some of us may want it also

Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

skratch,

Go to www.sorgys.com he's just a small dealer, but a great guy to deal with, really reasonable with shipping costsand like I said, he's given me the best prices on cables so far. He has all the standard catalogues online, find what you are looking for and then email or call him for his price.

Quick Reply: RK custom & beach bars