Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pipes ONLY....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Realeme99
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pipes ONLY....

Good Morning Folks

I have a stock '07 Ultra and put on 10,000 trouble free miles on this summer. I would like it to have just a little more character as far as the sound goes. I would like to put on a different set of pipe without going through the expense and hassle of new air cleaners and mapping and ????. Is it possible to put on a set of pipes that are a little more throaty and not change the anything else and still have the bike perform as it does now? If so what pipes would you recommend?

Thanks
Realeme99

Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Pipes ONLY....

I would recommend going with Rush slip ons. You can go up to 2" baffles without doing anything to the AC or Fuel Management. The 1.75 are just a tad quieter than the 2". Great sound.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The general consensus is that you don't need an ECM remap if all you are doing is adding slip-on mufflers. But as lean as the recent models are, I would be tempted to at least go with the Stage 1 Download which will enrich the mixture and help the engine run a little cooler.

My experience with the '07 Road King was that in stock form it was running right on the edge of being too lean; if you can spare the extra $200 or so, the download will be a great help. Then as you get a little more cash, pop a K&N air filter element in the stock housing (about $80) and you have a reasonable Stage 1 performance setup.

With your approach, you will need to steer clear of true duals or 2-in-1 exhaust setups, and only go with slip-on mufflers. I have used the SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers and the Vance & Hines Oval Slip-Ons and really liked them both. The SE's have a deeper, but not much louder tone and great style with the ability to change endcaps. The Oval Slip-Ons were of fantastic quality but were a bit too loud for my taste - on long rides they were fatiguing. It felt like the Oval Slip-Ons gave me more of a power increase than the SE's, which means they were moving more air. This would seem to indicate that a high-flow air filter and remap is what really made those pipes perform, whereas the SE's were much more conservative in airflow and sound.

Here's the SE's with fishtail endcaps on my '07 Road King:

Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Wes10RG
Tourer

+1 for Rush slip-ons. Never had 'em before, never listened to 'em before, found a good deal here in the "For Sale" and wound up with 1.5" baffles and finally it sounds like a Harley. No a/c, no SERT, no popping on decel.
CheckFor Sale hereand eBay, should be able to find a set for $200. Mfg link below.

http://www.epiflex.com/rush_touring.html

Old 11-20-2007, 07:03 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just pipes try this. Doc How to Richen a Narrow Band O2 Sensor on sale till the 30th of this month.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Wes10RG
Tourer

Wow, interesting link, cheaper than the HD mid-heat air deflectors! Know anybody running them? Wonder what it does to the mpg?
I might have to get a set while they're on sale.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Pete7539
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put them on anddidn't see any lossin fuel economy. Its too cold outside to feel any temp difference. They were very easy to install and didn't require seat removal. 08UC

Old 11-20-2007, 01:27 PM
ClamDesires
3rd Gear

Regardless of muffler manufacture, it's just simply a good idea to make sure your air/fuel ratio is in tune with the amount of back pressure your mufflers are producing with some sort of fuel mgmt system. If proper fuel adjustments are not done, you can pretty much assume the mufflers are going to turn colors...esp on the newer scooters. If your going to hang onto the bike for some years to come, I would spend the dough and get'r tuned.