Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New VS Used questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 AM
boze_man
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New VS Used questions...

Hello all, happy holidays…I have been lurking around the website for a while now, just reading and learning, and have to say great website and great people…

I could use some help (i have searched the archives and have not been able to get the answer i am looking for, maybe i am just being anxious as i want to get a bike before the new year...)

?? new 06 EFI bagger VS used 05 or earlier EFI bagger ??...is all i need for an 05 or earlier EFI bagger a standard map that matches new pipes and new a/c to get a good running bike or do all years need a race tuner (SERT) or similar to get a decent running bike?? ...also from reading here it seems the best way to go with an 06 is to use the SERT or PCIII, everything else not really getting the job done right???

I am looking to get back into riding after a 10yr absence and performance at first will not be an priority....a bike that runs properly with a little rumble will be... i would prefer to pick up a bike that needs minor mods to start...i just want to get on the road already...

----for an 06 the dealer recommends the SERT for tuning the new pipes and a/c, $$$, then add the setup/freight, etc, more $$$...i think u see where i am going, why go new when u can go used...so i look for a low mile used bike that doesnt have all the BS from the EPA (cat) and factory (lean) ...so i see an 05 Ultra with 5k miles...ex- rental...stock pipes(which are a little yellow colored) and stock a/c...with an 05 (or earlier) can i get by with a standard map for say v+h ovals and a new a/c for the 05 Ultra ??? the stealer again pushes the SERT for the 05 as well...which way is up??

any advice/help with a course of action (new vs used) ?? ....am i making any sense?? sorry my writing is so choppy it is getting late...

thanks again and happy holidays
willie

Old 12-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: New VS Used questions...

1st, Welcome to the forum.

After reading your post I agree with you that looking for an 05 would be a great idea. This time of year there should be plenty of trade ins at the dealers. You should be able to find one that already has some nice pipes, air cleaner and maybe a race tuner already installed. Be patient and check with several dealers before you make your decision. There is nothing wrong with the 06's but you can probably same some money if you look around.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-24-2005, 04:18 AM
SubZer0
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Willie.

Thats what I ended up doing. I bought an 05 Road Gide that the dealer had at one time used as a demo bike. When I got it it had 2261 miles on it. They sold it to me as a new bike hence it came with a fresh factory 2 year warranty and they fixed anything I found wrong with the bike before delivery. Before picking up the bike I had them install a 95" big bore kit with stage II SE 203 cam's, SE stage I air cleaner and SE pro slip-on mufflers. while they were installing the kit they found an oil leak at the case half and had to split the case to fix it. After all of that I more or less ended up with a new bike for about a thousand dollars less than what an 06 would have cost me.

They did install the download but it pops in the pipes on deceleration and misses a little between, I guess about 1500 and 2000 RPM. I went and pick up a SERT but have not had a chance to get it on a dyno and have it tunned properly. I think the HD download is a good starting point but thats about it. If you make changes to the bike and want it to run right I recommend either a SERT or a power commander and a qualified tuner to set the hole thing up right.

And yes my bike puts a big smile on my face every time I ride it.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:36 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Willie-As far as new vs. used, IMO with so many low mileage, barely ridden HD's around buying used is the way to go. I found one in Spokane on ebay, did a little research on it, bought it and had a nice putt back home.I ride a carb equipped bike so my EFI knowledge is not that great but I think HD began equipping dressers with the Delphi systems in 2002 as opposed to the Magnetti Morelli systems intro'd in '95. My point is any Delphi bike would have the same SERT/factory download/Power Commander choices for tuning.

Anyway, I've been doing some shopping for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

This auction is just ending but so far no one has broken the reserve. Looks like you could have a nice ride back to Texas from SC for $19,500 (he's asking $20k locally for it) Looks like nice bike with an extended warranty.

Here's a white '05 Ultra for a little less but it's in NJ:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...QQcmdZViewItem

Or, an '05 FLHT-I, barebones bagger w/o tourpak, radio, cruise, lowers, CB like Ultras, but less money that's in Austin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-24-2005, 09:13 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I have been looking for 6 months and on the forms befor i bought last month ,I was going to wait for O 7 classic .I felt the same way Man about the harleys.Small town local dealer knew another small town mechanic that had a 2000 road glide 88 bored to95 cubic with 201 cams powercommender,throttle body rejeted ,head work amoung other engin mods. thunder head exhust . I never seen the bike i ,got my 11.500 and whent 150 miles up the road it was grimey. I like that well took care of he just like to ride more than clean.Belonging to a harley mechainc evey thing was up dated. I look it this way 42 k on the bike bugs worked out just up keep and maint left.I like terry road glide good luck man what ever you choose.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/4B6DDC5E19F849F1B7D3F12C6FF3A794.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Guard Bum
Advanced

Welcome. This is a great place to learn from experienced riders. I recently went through your same delima. I've been riding a 98 Soft tail custom for several years and decided I wanted to step up to a touring bike as my rding style has evolved. I shopped new and used and came to the conclusion that I could get a considerably better deal on a slightly used 05 than and 06. After comparing the two it seemed th only significant differnce was an upgraded radio and an assisted clutch (the clutch is nice), but neither were real important to me. I was also concerned about all the negative press the 06's were getting and decided on an 05 that they had already worked the bugs out of. The bike I bought still has over a year of factory warranty. I have laso read of some that had trouble transferring warranty, but with a relatively stock bike and the Stage One done by an outhorised H_D dealership it was no problem (a simple inspection and a peice of paper).

Regarding performance, so much of that is how you intend to ride. I have heard several folks are not satisfied witht the standard power of their glides, but with a simple stage one upgrade and some slip on's my 05 Ultra does everything that I ask. It's clearly not the fastest bike I have been on, but it will run all day at 80 (on criuse) with 2 up. To me that's what a tourng bike is about. It has enough ump to get you in and around traffic, but where it seems most at home is at speed.

I suggest you climb aboard one and try it our before you do anything and see how it meets your riding demands. I have owned many bikes(including two Goldwings) and I wouldn't trade my H-D in on anything. I know you hear a lot on problems on this site, which is exactly why it exists to help those with problems, but I am a very satisfied H-D owner. Good luck with your decision.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5824/36C1927076714FCCA51CAB60446D5F4A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2005, 01:15 PM
boze_man
6th Gear

thanks all for the feedback...i agree, maybe used is the way to go for me...

would it be safe to say that the 06 are more expensive/complicated to tune than the 05 and earlier EFI models??

in regards to the stock 05 Ultra i mention above...would a bike like that that is all stock have been running lean for 5k miles and may have damage? sounds like a dumb *** way for the stealer to setup a rental bike...i would assume a renter would think the bike was a dog, maybe a bit of decel pop...am i right to assume some damage?

also would it be wise to steer clear of completely stock (in regards to the EFI) used bikes and focus on used bikes that have a stage 1 already done??

happy holidays

Old 12-24-2005, 03:46 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: boze_man

thanks all for the feedback...i agree, maybe used is the way to go for me...

would it be safe to say that the 06 are more expensive/complicated to tune than the 05 and earlier EFI models??

in regards to the stock 05 Ultra i mention above...would a bike like that that is all stock have been running lean for 5k miles and may have damage? sounds like a dumb *** way for the stealer to setup a rental bike...i would assume a renter would think the bike was a dog, maybe a bit of decel pop...am i right to assume some damage?

also would it be wise to steer clear of completely stock (in regards to the EFI) used bikes and focus on used bikes that have a stage 1 already done??

happy holidays
The 06 will be more bucks to modify than the 05, if you are using all SE parts because your going to need to buy either a DFO, Powercommander or SERT. I believe with the 05 they still have canned maps for Stage 1 with the SE Pro mufflers, and Stage 2 with the 203 cams and the SE Pro Mufflers. If you want to do Stage 1 with the high flow air filter and SE Pro Mufflers on the 06 you won't be able to do very well with the dealer installed canned map, you'll have to think of other ways of adding fuel because the dealer installed Stage 1 map for the 06 bikes is for the SE high flow air filter and the stock catalyst mufflers. If you remove the catalyst mufflers and install something that flows more your going to go on the lean side. To compound this some of the stock 06 EFI bikes are having issues running lean from the factory, there are guys that are having the heat management part of the map kick in while in traffic even on cooler days. The stock 05 may be a tad lean so it will comply with EPA regs, it just doesn't have the catalyst mufflers like the 06 does. I see that you mention rental bike, myself personaly I wouldn't consider the rental unless you're getting one heck of a deal. You want to remember that the bikes are ridden by many people and some of these folks could care less how the bike is ridden. It would suck to own a bike that some throttle jockey plum beat the tar out of while trying to impress his girlfriend for the day, he has no motivation to take care of it because it's not his. The way I look at the whole new vs used thing is if the used bike is within a couple grand of the new bike I'm going to be riding new. When I first got into Harley's in July 04 I priced used bikes, I bought a new XL883 because for a couple grand more I got a new bike. After a couple months of ridding the Sporty I decided a touring bike was more for me, I bought a new 05 EG Classic which I put 9k miles on and the Stage 2 big bore before taking delivery of my 06 Ultra this September. The Stage 2 BB was a walk in the park, had the dealer install the parts and put in the canned map for the build bike ran like a champ.