Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm not shakin or bakin

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default I'm not shakin or bakin

My riding buds say I have a good one......and I agree

I still have the 96" engine thinking to go to 103" or bigger.

My buds have stock bikes; 110" bikes; and mod bikes of different set-ups; and I am hands down the smoothest ride (we all agree), but I want more power (never happy)........So

Question is: If I go w/ a bigger bore (not stroke) will I incure more vibations at crusin speeds?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: I'm not shakin or bakin

Bigger does not always mean better. Although I don't have any experience with 110's I would think you would get more vibes. Anytime you alter your motor even if you are only removing the stock mufflers you will get more vibes. That's a fact!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Stash
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever here of, "if it ain't broke.......don't fix it?"

I still have 10 to 1 people telling me to put the IDS on my 07. But why?My bikealso "ain't shaken or baken". So what do I have to gain. I've got a good bike and it sounds like you do too.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

BUMP

Old 11-18-2007, 06:27 PM
troutbum1971
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my scoot went in for a 103 yesterday, oil temp gauage, heated grips and seat and oil cooler

Old 11-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ultra61

My buds have stock bikes; 110" bikes; and mod bikes of different set-ups; and I am hands down the smoothest ride (we all agree), but I want more power (never happy)........So

Question is: If I go w/ a bigger bore (not stroke) will I incure more vibations at crusin speeds?
Maybe! You'll be changing the pistons & rings (recripocating weight) & they may or may not be as balanced as the set you'll be replacing. Even if they are as balanced you'll be increasing the amount of force per stroke, so any imbalance will be amplified. Will it be acceptable? Only you know your vibration tollerance, but you hear of very few people that want to trade back to smooth over powerful.............

Old 11-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go to a 103", you will have more reciprocating mass, although it is minimal, which could result in a touch more shake at idle, but really doubt if you will notice it at above idle or even at idle. The shakes that some are talking about on the 07'sand then referencing IDS has absolutely nothing to do with the engine, it is the compensating sprocket set-up that HD went to in 07. I ran a pretty "over the top" build 103" all this year, 10k miles and really didnt think it vibrated any more than stock. Also, the notion that if you change stock pipes to others, it will shake is ridiculous. They are just pieces of steel that control the flow of gases. Yes, they control it differently, resulting in different torque curves and HP, but if you mountthe pipesright, you will not notice a difference there either.

I did install the IDS on my bike and it made a huge difference going down the road. I am now going to 120" - and I ride two up with the wife almost all the time, I wouldn't even think of building the engine if it resulted in a bike that vibrated more, got poor fuel mileage, or was unreliable. I ride too much to always be worrying about those things.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dalton

If you go to a 103", you will have more reciprocating mass, although it is minimal, which could result in a touch more shake at idle, but really doubt if you will notice it at above idle or even at idle. The shakes that some are talking about on the 07'sand then referencing IDS has absolutely nothing to do with the engine, it is the compensating sprocket set-up that HD went to in 07. I ran a pretty "over the top" build 103" all this year, 10k miles and really didnt think it vibrated any more than stock. Also, the notion that if you change stock pipes to others, it will shake is ridiculous. They are just pieces of steel that control the flow of gases. Yes, they control it differently, resulting in different torque curves and HP, but if you mountthe pipesright, you will not notice a difference there either.

I did install the IDS on my bike and it made a huge difference going down the road. I am now going to 120" - and I ride two up with the wife almost all the time, I wouldn't even think of building the engine if it resulted in a bike that vibrated more, got poor fuel mileage, or was unreliable. I ride too much to always be worrying about those things.
Sweet I am going to take that as the gospel, I will be talking to shooter64 about the build very soon, My big concern is vibration, I have done mods w/ no increase in vib (exhaust...ect) I want the biketo pull like my buds 110" or stronger. The way I am hearing it HQ or Zippers is better that HD has to offer. Yes??

Old 11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

BUMP