Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS and Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 AM
kybikerman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IDS and Gas Mileage

Thanks,

My GF and I rode from Jacksonville, FL to Greenville, SC (800 miles around trip).I Have made the same trip many times on myYahama Midnight Star. I rode the Ultra the same way. My GF and I crusied at 80 mph and the tach was at 3000 rpm, in 6th gear.Not really running it hard. I think it is really way to rich. I have friends with Ultra and EGC, they said that the mileage got better over time.

kybikerman

Old 11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

ORIGINAL: tcp

i see your point but the amount of flex has to be minimal. if they flexed a lot they would be subject to failure, and if you have not seen them those puppies are hard rubber, I really doubt they flex much. certainly not enuff to cause a 4 ro 5 mpg drop that some of these good fellows are reporting...

ORIGINAL: Dennis Murawski

ORIGINAL: tcp

I can't see any possible correlation between installing an IDS and getting worse gas mileage. There is nothing there in the mechanical interaction that can cause that, nothing that I can see any way.
I'm not an engineer and I've never studied thermodynamics, but if the rubber cushions are flexing, they must be generating a very small (maybe even infinitesimal) amount of heat. That heat is energy that under the stock setup would have gone to the rear wheel. I'm not worried about it, but IDS by design has to be less efficient than the stock sprocket.
After looking at my fuel map (PCIII) I noticed I run much leaner in the higher RPMs, while the low RPM/throttle positions are pretty rich to combat the over heating - decel pop etc.
Also I'm thinking HD V-Twins must be more efficient at higher RPMs. If you think about it when you pull out of a low torque low RPM(cruizing) speed you are usually dumping a ton of fuel to over come wind-weight-load forces etc.
If you tryaccelerating when the engine isalready revving at a high RPM it's effortless and you most likely use less fuel?

With the IDS most of us are running lazy RPMs where the fuel map (no matter what FI tuner or not you are using) is probably richer and thus uses more fuel. It sounds backwards but might be true?
Furthermore, combine the low RPM richer settings and the fact people are accelerating harder out of the low RPMs to gain speed etc and you probably have a case for overall lower gas mileage.

It's a theory at least... Although I know I'm right cause I'm Asian and we are Masters in Math, Science and Ninja Karate stuff....

JK..I have no idea if this is right...just a theory.

lp

Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 AM
cruiser85257
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously doubt the IDS has anything to do with fuel mileage. First off lets look at the Metric Bikes that have been running cush drives for years. They still get good fuel mileage.

I suspect there are a couple of reasons. One being that we are now moving into Winter, colder weather, which always causes a drop in fuel mileage. The Gas Companies start putting their additives in this time of year. Lastly its like any new Gizmo you put on your Bike. You play with it and ride in a different manor than you normally do.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I'd normally agree with you but when has any Metric bike had the option to "add" an IDS?
The symptom these guys is seeing (myself included) is lower gas mileage after installing an IDS... So they had a reference before adding it.
I've noticed lower gas mileage way before it got cold as well.

Good theories though...

lp

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

I seriously doubt the IDS has anything to do with fuel mileage. First off lets look at the Metric Bikes that have been running cush drives for years. They still get good fuel mileage.

I suspect there are a couple of reasons. One being that we are now moving into Winter, colder weather, which always causes a drop in fuel mileage. The Gas Companies start putting their additives in this time of year. Lastly its like any new Gizmo you put on your Bike. You play with it and ride in a different manor than you normally do.