Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS and Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 AM
monza66mo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: IDS and Gas Mileage

Yeah, I also noticed a consistant decrease in MPG after the IDS mod. I was getting 44 and now I get 40. Could be my riding habits, could be mechanical, could be a coinsidence...

Whatever it is (or isn't) I'm still smiling and have no regrets about the IDS.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I had stage I done shortly after I installed IDS and really never checked gas mileage. Resently I checked a few tanks of gas under mostly city/stop go travel and calculated 37 mpg. Maybe one day will check hwy travel for curiosity.
My thoughts on the subject are that in theary it should inprove mpg? but now i find myself pushing the bike harder,,,enjoying it more. Like upgradeing hp/tq,you dont do this and then ride like grandma

Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 AM
texan321
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the stage 1 on my 2007 Ultra - I get about 42 - 45 miles per gallon when I ride like a "normal" person as my wife/passenger says. However, when I ride it like I stole it - I am getting 30 MPG - if I install the IDS - I am going to get less mileage? yikes! I have learned how to shift and ride without the IDS and feel I really don't have an issue. I am going to install the IDS when I put on a new tire. Until then - oh well!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've heard that some gas stations are selling 10% Ethanol and not telling the public
That is the legal limit without posting it on the pumps.
Ethanol burns fast not like normal fuel used in cars/trucks/bikes and this will lower your mpg. I use only top rated fuels; you know like name brands-exxon, shell etc...
Iget very close the same mpg all year, I have noticed that at 55-60 degrees my ultra pulls better and my mpg is some higher. I know what my mileage is at a half tank. My norm is 122 miles at half tank which is 44 mpg. When riding easy on the mountain I do get as high as 50+mpg but I have to stay on the mountain.
I agree that when you add the ids that it is very possible to lugg the engine without realizing it.
I ride a lot and do not stop mostly except for fuel which is around 170-180 miles.
Perhaps changing fuel suppliers and riding habits may help; I don't know but it gives you something to check. My other bike has a 4 gallon tank and gets 38mpg period. It is fun to ride for short distance but I don't do short distance very often.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the IDS a few weekends ago and after about 800 miles haven't seen any difference in mpg.

TRN - I think your southern english is funny as hell, makes me laugh a little everytime I read one of your posts. Being from New Yawk, I've been accused of tawkin funny, at least that's what my dawda says.

Ride on!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
rkcrwlr
Tourer

I am going to WAG and say its likely a change in riding style. IDS is smoother, folks tend to lug it more. Lower RPMs does not necesarily mean better mpg. Bet there is some "testing" of the ids going on... twist the wick a bit to see how it reacts. Smoother, riding more... good opportunity to run a little harder. Like I said, WAG

Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
texan321
Road Captain

TRN - I think your southern english is funny as hell, makes me laugh a little everytime I read one of your posts. Being from New Yawk, I've been accused of tawkin funny, at least that's what my dawda says.

Ride on!
[/quote]

Please don't think that all TEXANS talk like that - I have read maybe 1 or 2 posts that I could actually figure out what he was talking about.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Richard

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

It's a MoCo conspiracy.....
Hey TR, have you noticed the ones that have a complaint about IDS, have like below 10 post?
and they talk as if they had 1500.

I kinda smell a TROLL... but that just MHO...
yeah and I've also noticed the guys with a thousand or more seem to think they own the damned place, by the way he's got 12 posts, and he might've been riding for 40 years while the rest of us have been setting in front of a keyboard

Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
kybikerman
Stage III

Hey All,

I am new to this forum and am a new Harley rider. Before I always rode Yahamas. Now I have a 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I really enjoy the new ride. By the my GF also brought a 2008 Street Glide, so she rides her own. Two weeks ago she and I did an Eight hundred mile trip on the new bikes and she got 37.5 mpg and I got 30 mpg. At the time she had about 600 miles on hers and I had 800 miles on mine. I had already had the 1000 mile service done on mine but she had not. My question is, is 30 mpg normal for breaking in, should I take it in to be checked. What is your all's experience with this?

Thanks,
kybikerman

Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It takes time to migrate from a Yamaha up to a Harley. Here's the chart:

0 - 1 year 30 mpg
1 year or 12,000 miles 35 mpg
1-2 years 38 mpg
2-5 years 41 mpg
5+ years 45 mpg

If you are a chick you go straight to 38 mpg...

Quick Reply: IDS and Gas Mileage