Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS and Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:31 PM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: IDS and Gas Mileage

After installing IDS a few weeks ago I noticed my mileage went from 40-41 mpg to about 36 mpg. All at highway speeds (70-80 mph) and I was not lugging the motor. Not saying drop was due to IDS and can't imagine why it would. Maybe just a coincidence. Could be the cooler weather, buy it does make me wonder.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36447/ACC05F0F5C024BD6B09E693DA9454B11.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yeah - the cooler weather...mebbe yer local stations have switched ta the oxygenated fuels now?

Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 PM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Ah yeah - the cooler weather...mebbe yer local stations have switched ta the oxygenated fuels now?
LOL. Should have thought of that. Actually, gas mileage I get is not really a concern, just a curiosity.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dp
LOL. Should have thought of that. Actually, gas mileage I get is not really a concern, just a curiosity.
Ah don't think it is fer most of the folks - but lahk anything else, when ya do somethin' on yer bike, yer lookin' fer any changes. Ah'm thinkin' it could be fuel, or simply a change in the way they work the throttle, since the luggin' ain't as noticeable.

All kiddin' aside, ah'm mostly concerned that with the reduced "feedback" from the drivetrain, a lot more folks will lug the engines, which in the long run is gonna cause damage that the MoCo could (rightfully) deny coverage fer.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 PM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dp
Ah don't think it is fer most of the folks - but lahk anything else, when ya do somethin' on yer bike, yer lookin' fer any changes. Ah'm thinkin' it could be fuel, or simply a change in the way they work the throttle, since the luggin' ain't as noticeable.

All kiddin' aside, ah'm mostly concerned that with the reduced "feedback" from the drivetrain, a lot more folks will lug the engines, which in the long run is gonna cause damage that the MoCo could (rightfully) deny coverage fer.
Good point. I think I was going into 6th gear at 60-65 mph, instead of 70-75 mph before I installed IDS. Might have to un-install IDS. I really can't see any difference in the bike anyway (except for possibly masking lugging).

Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did notice my milage improved from 42.8789 to 43.0432 MPG. Looks like I am saving some money on gas, .89 per year!!! Adds up over time!!!!! What $41.00 over 50 years!!! Money is money, thats why I always pull my clutch in going down hill.

I would remove the IDS to get better gas milage and save money.

You guys need to geta gripon the gas milage thing....... ride it and when the low fuel light comes on fill it up and go again...it is what it is!!!! If gas milage is a deal get yourselt a scooter....or a bike!!!!!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Scootr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Skulmn

Hey all:

I 've had the IDS on for several weeks and overall it is a great unit. However, I have noticed that I've lost a few miles per gallon in mileage.

Does anyone know of a technical reason why. I've made no other changes to the bike.

Thanks,

skulmn aka starman
Might just double check to make sure the brake is seated right etc. to make sure nothing is creating drag back there. Just a thought but other than that no real explanation.Mine went from 45ish to 36ish but I also installed the PCIII and BS a/c that same week Compared to my truck the HD gets such great milage that I never complain about 35+mpg but I do track it once in a while for curiosity.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

ORIGINAL: starman
Our daddy, NOT mine. You actually take the time to talk like a Moron....I've actually read some of your postswhen you are out of your "stupid" mode, and you sound half way intelligent.

Anyway, my question was serious and anytime you want to compare brain pans, let me know. You were alsoaMoron with your "illiterate" talk and spelling on the Gold Wing forum.

If you can't answer a question like a gentleman, albeit a redneck gentleman, stay off the post.
Stuff it, dude - an' frankly ah warn't takin' a shot at ya if you'll go back an' read - unless yer wonderin' why luggin' an engine is bad fer it. Insofar as the IDS makin' an engine git lower mileage, no reason that it would or should - none of the gearin' changes, so thar's no reason fer it ta do so.

An' at least ah don't try ta hide who or whar ah am. So iffen yer gonna talk garbage, be man 'nuff ta come outta hidin'.
English Tex....you sound like this guy...

lp

[IMG]local://upfiles/7297/B37332C37AF54C178DF22DC84E80C05E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SteveO

I did notice my milage improved from 42.8789 to 43.0432 MPG. Looks like I am saving some money on gas, .89 per year!!! Adds up over time!!!!! What $41.00 over 50 years!!! Money is money, thats why I always pull my clutch in going down hill.

I would remove the IDS to get better gas milage and save money.

You guys need to geta gripon the gas milage thing....... ride it and when the low fuel light comes on fill it up and go again...it is what it is!!!! If gas milage is a deal get yourselt a scooter....or a bike!!!!!
Too fat to ride a scooter and too old and fat to ride a bike, so I'll take your advice and fill it up when it needs filing. Guess my real point was, this was the only difference I really noticed withIDS.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Skulmn,

I've heard that some gas stations are selling 10% Ethanol and not telling the public (happened here with a big gas retailer).

It's my understanding that E85 fuel causes mileage to drop considerably in E85-compatible cars.

Perhaps that 10% ethanol blend is reducing your mileage. In major metropolitan areas they recently switched to winter blend fuel..who knows, it could have that 10% in it.

Harley says it's ok to run 10% in the bikesbut makes no mention of your gasmileage with it.

UW

Quick Reply: IDS and Gas Mileage