Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS and Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:09 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IDS and Gas Mileage

ORIGINAL: Skulmn

ORIGINAL: Richard

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

It's a MoCo conspiracy.....
Hey TR, have you noticed the ones that have a complaint about IDS, have like below 10 post?
and they talk as if they had 1500.

I kinda smell a TROLL... but that just MHO...
No troll, just a name change starman to skulmn.

Actually, do a search and you will see it is starman. And I have actually praised the IDS.

If you can't read look at my pictures (easy for you) and notice starman and skulmn the bikes are the same....
I stand corrected Skulmn, I really don't understand the having to start over when you change your "handle" it couldjust point to reference your previous name..
and keep your stats...

And as far as reading, that's about all there is on this site, other that the ugly RG pics... and the beautiful Street glide pics... but I'm just partial..
No need to get you feathers ruffeled... nothing intended, maybe a little note in your sig?

And as far as your original post, your mileage may be due to the freedom given withIDS, and better range without noise.. hence inadvertently lugging...

Old 11-18-2007, 01:41 PM
starman
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

It's a MoCo conspiracy.....
Hey TR, have you noticed the ones that have a complaint about IDS, have like below 10 post?
and they talk as if they had 1500.

I kinda smell a TROLL... but that just MHO...
No troll, just a name change starman to skulmn.

Actually, do a search and you will see it is starman. And I have actually praised the IDS.

If you can't read look at my pictures (easy for you) and notice starman and skulmn the bikes are the same....
I stand corrected Skulmn, I really don't understand the having to start over when you change your "handle" it couldjust point to reference your previous name..
and keep your stats...

And as far as reading, that's about all there is on this site, other that the ugly RG pics... and the beautiful Street glide pics... but I'm just partial..
No need to get you feathers ruffeled... nothing intended, maybe a little note in your sig?

And as far as your original post, your mileage may be due to the freedom given withIDS, and better range without noise.. hence inadvertently lugging...
Hey Richard:

I hear you. I actually tried to get a switchover on handles but the board admin never got back with me.

And in addition, I'm tired of many board members, with big mouths, that never contribute anything more than bulshi+.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Bldr1000
Cruiser

I installed the IDS also. Have not noticed any change in gas mileage yet. Have not taken long trip yet. I am glad youm ask tho....I will find out soon. Bldr

Old 11-18-2007, 03:36 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: starman
Our daddy, NOT mine. You actually take the time to talk like a Moron....I've actually read some of your postswhen you are out of your "stupid" mode, and you sound half way intelligent.

Anyway, my question was serious and anytime you want to compare brain pans, let me know. You were alsoaMoron with your "illiterate" talk and spelling on the Gold Wing forum.

If you can't answer a question like a gentleman, albeit a redneck gentleman, stay off the post.
Stuff it, dude - an' frankly ah warn't takin' a shot at ya if you'll go back an' read - unless yer wonderin' why luggin' an engine is bad fer it. Insofar as the IDS makin' an engine git lower mileage, no reason that it would or should - none of the gearin' changes, so thar's no reason fer it ta do so.

An' at least ah don't try ta hide who or whar ah am. So iffen yer gonna talk garbage, be man 'nuff ta come outta hidin'.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 PM
GADawgs
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 11-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I remember one other person saying they lost some mpg's, don't remember his name but I think he had a blue SG. But there should be no reason for the mpg to go down.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My opinion would be this:
with the ids you have less noise and may be riding with lower rpm's-lugging-
when runing lower rpm's-lugging-the engine has to work harder
lugging is below-to me-say 2,200 rpm's or so
I keep my ultra as close to 2,300-2,500 rpms as I can
I average 43 mpg in town and 45 mpg on th einterstate at 80 mph or below
use 6th gear at 2,500 rpm or more or your mpg will suffer and you could be lugging
the ids helps with the lugging because it softens the blows you might say.
My 07 ultra has always been sweet, not noise other that what is normal but I do not lug the engine.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:30 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

Hey all:

I 've had the IDS on for several weeks and overall it is a great unit. However, I have noticed that I've lost a few miles per gallon in mileage.

Does anyone know of a technical reason why. I've made no other changes to the bike.

Thanks,

skulmn aka starman

My stock 2007 Ultra gets exactly the same 44 to 48MPG's
riding one up and the same 42 to 47MPG's riding two up
beforeand afterI put theIDS on.

The only thing my stock 2007 Ultra has that is not OEM is
the mufflers. They are Peacemaker mufflers which are
quieter then stock or straight pipes at the flick of a switch.
Closed or open on the mufflersmy Ultra gets the same gas
mileage. IDS or no IDSmy Ultra gets the same gas mileage.

I have no idea what is going on with your bike and the
IDS being installed???

Old 11-18-2007, 05:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I haven't seen any difference, but expected an increase since I'm able to run at lower RPM's in the higher gears. I would suspect the difference may be the cooler weather, which will impact mileage. IDS isn't effecting any type of drag on the drivetrain, so I doubt if it's the cause of your change.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shouldn't make a bit of difference if you operate the engine the same as you did before. Maybe you are twisting the wick harder due to the engine now feeling smoother?

Quick Reply: IDS and Gas Mileage