Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Fork winter project link

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007 | 06:08 PM
Arvid
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Chrome Fork winter project link

I have seen detailed posts with pictures on how to remove your fairing, change your handle bars, install the IDS sprocket, and others. So I did a search to see if I could find one on changing out stock forks for chrome lowers but only found posts where people had it done by the dealer or indy. Does anybody here have a link, hopefully with pics, on the details of changing to chrome forks myself?

Arvid

Old 11-17-2007 | 06:16 PM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Default RE: Chrome Fork winter project link

S-E-R-V-I-C-E M-A-N-U-A-L. A good tech can swap out fork sliders in one hour!

Old 11-17-2007 | 06:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2438249/m...tm.htm#2476354Here's mine

Old 11-17-2007 | 06:35 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Brad...........now that you are a "3-fork" pro at swapping them out, when are you coming to Maine to show me how it's done?

That is my winter project...........chrome forks. Already have the forks and cowbells, just have to get the seal kit and fork oil.

Steve

Old 11-17-2007 | 08:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

Brad...........now that you are a "3-fork" pro at swapping them out, when are you coming to Maine to show me how it's done?

That is my winter project...........chrome forks. Already have the forks and cowbells, just have to get the seal kit and fork oil.

Steve
It's very easy. Just let me know and I'll be there!

Old 11-17-2007 | 08:17 PM
glide
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Arvid

I have seen detailed posts with pictures on how to remove your fairing, change your handle bars, install the IDS sprocket, and others. So I did a search to see if I could find one on changing out stock forks for chrome lowers but only found posts where people had it done by the dealer or indy. Does anybody here have a link, hopefully with pics, on the details of changing to chrome forks myself?

Arvid
http://groups.msn.com/ToddsHarleyPix/forkswap.msnw

Old 11-17-2007 | 09:57 PM
Arvid
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Dawg & Glide thank you both, thats exactly what I was hoping for. Between this and the service manual it looks do-able.

Arvid

Old 11-18-2007 | 07:22 AM
mopar7
Tourer

This is a very easy job. I did it yester day. Remove the radio so you can get to the top fork caps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45252/4BE09935399E4391BF4A031C322B032E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2007 | 07:58 AM
vindyl
Road Master

I will get pics up when i can I polished mine looks great. All you do is remove tire fender and calipers. Sand forks in up and down motion with 320 grit emeroy colth till all factory lines are gone then buff with a 4 in wheel and drill along with a good polishing roughe and your done took me 4 hours looks great best of all it was basicly free just time and sand paper

Old 11-18-2007 | 09:24 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dawg

Steve
It's very easy. Just let me know and I'll be there!
[/quote]

Looks like riding season came to a quick end around here..........temps in the low 30's this weekend, and the constant talk of snow in the weather forecast.

I'm going to use Screamin Eagle fork oil, and I'm debating swapping out the parts to get rid of the cartridge in my fork. That way future oil swaps will be much easier.

Steve

Quick Reply: Chrome Fork winter project link