Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: EG Standard Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:19 AM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Attn: EG Standard Owners

Has anyone tried to polish thier non-chrome covers to look like chrome? If so, what did you use.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Attn: EG Standard Owners

semi chrome paste works well, but be prepared it takes ALOT of elbow grease!! Also, you have to keep it polished or it will tarnish quickly.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:37 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,787 Likes on 1,269 Posts

ORIGINAL: 05Fatty

Has anyone tried to polish thier non-chrome covers to look like chrome? If so, what did you use.
Switch to chrome as you can afford it. You buy all covers you want at far less than dealer prices on E-Bay and do as you can afford. For example, I bought a new Genuine Harley primary chrome cover for $45.00 off of E-Bay.
[sm=bling.gif]

Old 12-23-2005, 02:33 PM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the ideas. I'm also thinking of distressing the chrome pieces to look similar to the parts on the Exile bikes. Any thoughts???

Old 12-23-2005, 02:34 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IF you choose to go the polish route there is a polish ball made from Mothers that's suppose to work great and make it easier. With that said Polishing is a PITA to keep up as posted. I would do as stated above buy chrome so you can ride instead of having to polish the bike all the time.

The cream used for polishing is in a blue tube and i wish i could remember the name for ya

Old 12-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Danester
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope -- defeats the purpose of having a standard - - except a few add ons, I wanted to get away from chrome, , - -had that crap on my Sportster - -I just keep it clean the way it came from the factory..

Old 12-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I had a chrome kit installed on my bike before pickup, so while they had the cam cover off I had them to install 203 cams, couldn't be happier with the way it pulls and looks.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:13 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The aluminiun covers come with a clear finish on them and you can't polish them before you remove that finish. The products mention here all work well but only after that clear has been removed. I think you will find that nail polish remover will take it off easier than polish, then you can polish with Simi Chrome or Mother's almost like chrome.
BE AWARE!!!! You are creating a maintainance nightmare. Once the protectent finish is gone you need to keep on top of the aluminium to keep it from corroding. You may not like the constant work. It does look good though if that's your thing.

DC.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:53 AM
CWO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As dc1450 stated - once you start polishing, be prepared to keep polishing. I used to use a "semi-chrome" polish awhile back which came in a silver tube (and actually I think it was called "simi-chrome" from Germany) and it did a great job of putting a mirror finish on the aluminum but would take a six-pack of beer worth of effort and you would end-up with the strongest trigger-finger in town by the time you were done. That said - I went with the aluminum parts vice chrome as I was after the utility appearance. If you want shine - save yourself numerous hours in the garage hunkered over your cases and go chrome - CWO

Old 12-24-2005, 11:17 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

The cream used for polishing is in a blue tube and i wish i could remember the name for ya
Could it have been FLITZ? It works well for this but as said, you are creating a maintenence nightmare for yourself.

Quick Reply: Attn: EG Standard Owners