Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna Connection

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007 | 07:34 AM
IronHead2822
|
Advanced
Default Antenna Connection

I am going to installing a radio in my 05' FLTPI. I have the front faring removed and am reviewing the installation before I begin. I see the connection for the antenna inside the front fairing butit goes directly into a wiring loom and I lose it from there.

Can anyone tell me where the antenna cables ends up? I do not have a external antenna anywhere on the bike so it must just terminate somewhere in the battery, engine compartment? Maybe some of you folks that have Cops bikes could help.

Oh one last thing, have any of the members here installed the radio package from Biketronics and used the JBL speakers so famous here. With the Sony radio , how do they compare to the Hog Tune version offered by Biketronics.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 11-16-2007 | 07:39 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Default RE: Antenna Connection

Might run through to the rear fender, usually the antenna ends up mounting there....don't know if HD would have pre-wired all the way back.

Old 11-16-2007 | 07:39 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: IronHead2822...Can anyone tell me where the antenna cables ends up?...
One end at the Radio One end at the Antenna, where you mount it?
Can you clarify? Im not sure what you mean end up.

Old 11-16-2007 | 07:41 AM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior

Well, for the electra glide the end of the cable is coiled up inside the right side cover. Try looking in there. I have heard no one say anything bad about the biketronics kit. I personally went with Hog tunes speakers and they sound much clear and louder than stock. I can't help anymore than that. Do a seach, lots of info on speakers tho. I'm sure any quality speaker will be better than stock!

Old 11-16-2007 | 07:46 AM
IronHead2822
|
Advanced

Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks for all the replys.

To clairfy, I am looking for the terminating connection where the antenna would mount to the bike. I have found the male connector going to the radio itself. I will look under the right engine cover to see if it is wound up there. Thanks again.

Old 11-16-2007 | 07:49 AM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior

Check this out too!
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2141539/tm.htm

Old 11-16-2007 | 08:45 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

IronHead: I have an '04 FLHTPI on which I installed the Biketronics interface unit, Sony GT 510 headunit, etc. More recently I installed an HD headunit w/CB on a friend's '06 FLHTPI. I followed each installation with a post here on the HDF--I'll try to find them and post the links.

I can't help you with the antenna question because on both bikes the antenna cableon the bike wasn't used;antennas mounted inside the fairingwere used--on mine I used a Dakota Digital powered antenna, my buddy chose a Tune Trapper (or equivalent) that came with his Biketronics Retro Radio Package.

Unless you fabricate the Base Audio Connector found on civilian EGs, but not included on the FLHTPI, and install the civilian handlebar controls (with the audio switches), there is no point in buying the Biketronics interface unit because: (1) you don't have the handlebar controls for the radio that the interface unit provides, and (2) without the Base Audio Connector there is nothing to plug into the interface unit (the BAC plugs into one end of the interface unit) and the interface unit's other end plugs into the back of Sony headunit--converting the inputs (from handlebar controls, for example) so the Sony headunit recognizes them.

Old 11-16-2007 | 09:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Ironhead: If you are considering handlebar controls of the stereo headunit/radio, here's the link referred to in my previous post:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1557679/tm.htm

If all you are doing is installing a headunit, you can buy the installation kit from Biketronics ($49.95 IIRC), tap the power and ground for the headunit, install the speakers and hook them up to be good to go with a fairing mounted antenna. You will also need speaker adapters (included in the Retro Radio kit; probably available for seperate sale by Biketronics) to mount the speakers to the inner fairing. HTH.