Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thunderheaders

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007 | 05:13 PM
stbunch
|
Advanced
Default thunderheaders

dont take my head off i know there already loud, i have them on my 07r.k. custom but has anone ever took out the baffles? if so how much louder? any hp loss???????????? thanks... Scott

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...cture032-1.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture018.jpg

Old 11-14-2007 | 05:59 PM
catracho
Road Captain
Default RE: thunderheaders

I did the same question a few weeks ago, and I received some answers.

Trying to remove the baffles, you have to cut the pipe. You have to remember that the baffle gives you the performance of the exhaust.
I have the 2in1 configuration and I think its louder than yours.

There are some guys that made that experiment. I waiting for their experience.

Old 11-14-2007 | 06:41 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer

Boys thunder headers dont have a standerd baffle. Get on Rich brothers site and you will see what you are dealing with. there is not much in side of them, if you would gut them I would say your bike would run like sh--. Just get on there web site and you will understand. I have there slipons with duals and dont understand why you would even want to mess with them. They sound awsome the way they are.

Old 11-15-2007 | 08:50 PM
stbunch
|
Advanced

rich brothers??? what is address

Old 11-15-2007 | 09:08 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

If you bend the tabs inside the colector it is supose to give you little different sound. But I really don't know why anyone would ever want it louder. The more you pump up the engine the louder it will be.
I'mrunning 95" 10.5:1 with HQ Cams and it's pretty loud. I love it............

Old 11-16-2007 | 09:37 AM
BAGTHIS
Advanced

You need to remember, your motor needs some back pressure to work right. If you go through the hassle to remeove the baffle or core out of aTH, you will loose back pressure, and need to adjust the tune on your bike, and may not be able to get it to run acceptable to you at that point. While it may run like a crack head from the cops up on top, it will be like pulling a limp dick out of a lard bucket on the bottom. If you want loud, get a set of cheap samsom big guns and leave the baffles out. It will give you the loud result you are looking for with less money and effort.

Old 11-16-2007 | 10:04 AM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain

every bike needs some back pressure....i took the baffle out of my D&D's.....it sounded very loud and awesum for a while...then the sound becomes obnoxious and if I hit the throttle real hard there is definitely a flat spot in my acceleration where the bike just does not seem to want to go any faster until i get enough rpms to get through the flat spot....back pressure is good!

Old 11-18-2007 | 12:01 PM
kjtoys
Cruiser

The bigger the build on the engine the louder the thunder header is. Also for more back pressure put a 1" washer in the openend of the pipe. Just put it up in the pipe and weld it to a small steel bracket. Then drill a hole in the back side of your exauxt opening where you can still reach it. Then just put a small bolt through it. You might be suprised what this does for torque.Some dyno tuners use this such as Bob Golden who is pretty well know for the rolling thunder dyno. Just my 2 cents!