Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN THE BELT BE CHANGED, TO CHAIN DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:11 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Can the belt be changed, to chain drive

Belt drive is not dependable. The old touring bikes had a chain for the final drive. I know it makes noise, but it is easy to change the chain on the side of the road, and stone damage does not happen. I would like to change my 2006 eg classic to chain drive. Does anyone know were i can get the parts to make this happen?

Last edited by HDSAE60; 02-11-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: CAN THE BELT BE CHANGED, TO CHAIN DRIVE

"old touring bikes had them" Yes and how many do now, ZERO, they all have belts or driveshafts. But Yes you can change to chain drive, not cheap and its a dumb idea. Who ever told you belt was not dependable??? Ive seen many with over 50k on them with no issues and rarely have ever seen or heard of anyone having a problem. A chain will wear itself out and the sprokets too well before you get close to 50 k miles on them. The only reason to go to a chain would be if you ran mega horsepower and really abused it a lot.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the parts are available ..... on MARS

Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Belt is way more dependable than chain, plus you don't have the maintenance issues I've seen bikes with over 80k on them with the original belt still in good running order....you would have to be crazy to want to change out a belt for a chain.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the parts are avialable , but in my opinion as other people have posted it you would in my opinion be going backwords.I've seen very few belts break in the 10 plus years of owning my shop. I would n't do it, but if you do make sure you get a good kit and someone that knows how to shim the rear sprocket to drive sprocket correctly.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Belts should last 100K - No need for Oiling (aka... Oil Leaks)

Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Other than on high powered hot rods, the belt is more dependable. I do however have the same attitude about on the road repairs. No question that if a belt fails, and they do occaisionaly due to damage, it's a tow job to a shop for replacement, If you carry a master link with you, 90% of the time you can atleast get back on the road and ride to a shop for a replacement! I run a chain for just that reason.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

It's your bike, run what YOU want. Yes, zippers and several others make chain conversion kits. Things to make sure you have is the proper "dish" as requiredfor the rear sprocketto havealignement and clearance, hardened sprockets front and rear for long life and an O-ring Chain with a TSI of 10k or better. A decent setup like above will last up to 40k before needing to replace the sprockets and chain. It will take a hell of alot more abuse than a belt and pully system will and can be repaired on the side of the road a lot easier.

The only belt system I've dealt with that was easy to replace on the side of the road is on the sporters. a much better design than the bigtwin in terms of not needing to pull the primary and swingarm.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In all my years of riding belt drive harleys and riding with others, I have only seen 1 belt falure it was on a old 86 model flhs and had well over 60k on it. It broke due to dry rot from always being left outside year round.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Trade your Harley for a Victory. That's one of their selling points--being able to easily replace the belt. At least on the original ones.

After a lifetime of dealing with chains and worn sprockets, I sure wouldn't go back to one.

Anyone have a belt conversion for Tridents?

Quick Reply: CAN THE BELT BE CHANGED, TO CHAIN DRIVE