Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new guy looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM
NJMadDog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another new guy looking for advice

Greetings all, I have recently been bitten by the Harley bug again, I used to ride a Sporty a few years back, mainly bar hopping and cruising with some buddies. An old friend of mine rode down to my shore house this past summer on his brand new Road King and it was all over for me. Having been off the mean streets on twowheels for such a long time I figured being older and wiser I should get reacquainted with the sport the right way and went ahead and took the riders education course and man did I have some bad habits that were broken that weekend.

I have been lurking here in the forums now because I have been seriously shopping for an '08 SGand having never purchased a brand new bike Ihave a few questions for some of you seasoned touring vets here:

1. ABS brakes, highly recommended or highly overrated?
2. I have noticed that dealers all charge pretty much the same prices for bikes and accessories, whats a good benchmark to use when choosing the right dealer? One I have visited twice now is offering the first 3 services for free, none of the other 3 offered that.
3. What do you RG guys have against the SG?

Any advice in addition to my 3 questions is very welcomed and greatly appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions and will post them as I think of them

Thanks in advance all!!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:46 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Default RE: Another new guy looking for advice

I have an '07 RKC, but I'll try

1. Overrated. If you know how to stop a bike you don't need it.
2. Free service is a plus, as even a 1000 service can nail ya for $500
3. The Road Glide is an ugly motorcycle, and many who have on wish that they had gotten the Street Glide instead. It akin to ***** envy.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Rick 547
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know much about ABS as I have never been on a motorcycle that has had that option. As to what dealer to purchase your new motorcycle from. Ask around your local area. They will be able to tell you which is the best dealer on cost, discounts, repair and customer service. Alot of dealers will offer better prices in late January to early February as they are tired of paying interest on bikes they have in stock. As for your last question on all the RG Guys knocking the SG. If you were riding the ugliest bike on earth you would be knocking all the other bikes to make your look good also. Just kidding. It's just a matter of tast. I have a 07 SG and a 04 RKC and both are great bikes.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Bluerose

Ok I'm just getting a touring bike too so I can't speak to many of your questions but I can say a little about ABS.

Overrated? Don't know...Goldwings and other metrics have had ABS standard or optional for years. I would say some of it has to do with your experience on a bike and your ability to handle the bike your on.
I agree if you know how to stop a bike you probably don't need it...but then again....

I rode an Ultra with ABS the other day and found it felt a bit squishy but always stopped well when asked....but then I think my cage with ABS feels that way too. Mostly that is because I grew up with non-ABS cars. I still like the feel of a solid brake bite....but that does not mean I am safer without feeling the brake bite..

Today I did my first slide almost fully sideways panic stop on a 750 lb bike. I was proud I kept it upright....I was going straight...and I believe ABS would have done wonders for me. What it does in a curve I couldn't tell you.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 PM
troutbum1971
Banned

Had an 04 Heritage, got rid of it this year for a 08 Ultra, no abs. Not sure about ABS never had it, enough people like it though.

RG-- FU-UGLY IMHO

SG Love it, already got permission to get a SG for my next purchase, from Military car sales leaving Berlin. Turning that into a solo saddle (Nobody but me on that one)

Try to talk the sissy bar or helmets or some other stuff you need into the deal also. Don't settle just for the service, it's getting to be winter they will start to deal soon as it will slow down.

Go for the SG.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM
ezlife
Road Master

My scoots a '07 FLHRC also, so just my $.02 on your '08 ideas:
[ul][*]With the money your gonna lay out for a new sled add the ABS. On a trade/sale later it'll be a plus. While you can brake well without it, not locking up the rear at speed on a quick stop is a definite plus.[*]As said, free service is always a plus. Better still, buy a manual and do your wrenchin. Your learn your bike and enjoy it more, as well as save a ton of money.[*]Scoot choice is personal, buy what speaks to you, and just ride.[*]RK and SG I like the best. But the RG is an awesome bike, don't be swayed away.[/ul]
Bottom line, get on a few and see what calls to ya. Then buy it and start riding. After that, add some pipes, an Stage I a/c, and some fuel management system. Anything after that, just make it yours!

Ezlife

Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I sure like your sig. Life is one way.... take it eeeee zzzzzzzz. Very cool.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 PM
hall1836
Cruiser

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't have ABS, but saw a demo several years back with a BMW fitted with out riggers trying to stop at 35 MPH on water and the ABS works!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Yes...
2) MSRP or less
3) Question back to you - Have you RENTED a RG & SG to see what one better fits your needs?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

!) Stopping when you need to is never over rated. Spend the money, might save your hide some day. I don't care how good of a Rider you are, you're not going to out perform antilock breaks.

2) If you want to get a good price, you're going to have to put some work in. Get on the phone & the internet. If you know what accessories you want, try getting the dealer to include them N/C. They would much rather sell you a bike @ list and throw in some accessories, than discount the bike.

3) No accounting for some peoples taste....JK RG is a sweet bike!

Quick Reply: Another new guy looking for advice