Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new guy looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another new guy looking for advice

I think the ABS is more to save your *** when riding in the rain or when traction is not the best. On dry pavement it will help also, but I didn't get it on my 08 SG. I figure if I get caught in the rain, I will just have to slow it down enough to be safe.....and I been riding big street bikes since 1980 and never had one with ABS. Many people like it, but I also hear many people who just dont like the feel it gives in the lever/pedal.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 AM
rdurantb
Advanced

Can't speak to the RG-SG issue. I ride an 07 RK. The brakes are interesting and while I don't have ABS, I am aware of the issue. "More Proficient Motorcycling" is a good read. The author is very experienced on many bikes. He thinks a good rider without the ABS will do better than with. On the other hand I recently read a m/c publication where the writer claims to have racing experience and says the ABS is better, especially on slippery surfaces. However, in both cases they say the rider must practice and be profficient at using the brakes whatever they are. I think that is the key.
I've had ABS in several cars and on some I hated them. In one car (Cad El Dorado) hitting the brakes caused the pedal to rebound and my instinct was always to lift my foot and release the brakes. Not good. On the other hand I did 6 years in a tough town as a cop and could 4 wheel drift a 440 Dodge with no problems, and no ABS. My current, primary ride (cage) is a BMW and the ABS are not noticeable, at least up through the first 40,000 miles.
On my RK I can easily slide the rear wheel. It is not a problem. I worry about the front brake and practice that frequently and do not want to break the front tire away, even for very short distances. When I took a rider safety course (I was off bikes for decades) before my purchase of the latest H-D, part of the instruction was panic stopping and the instructors said locking the rear tire was not a big issue. They wanted the rider to feel comfortable when and if it happened. Good advice because in my experience it can be done easily and just as easily you can reduce the pressure and control the rear slide while still keeping the front pressure on.
In my (not too) HO, what ever you choose, take the time to practice on the brakes. Do it frequently and do it realistically. (Don't do it in traffic, much as you might hate the jerk tail gating you.) Do it in corners, both front and back brakes (yes it can be done, and may have to be done). Likewise see what it is like cornering with the clutch in (not normally a good idea), and how down hill is much tougher to control than up hill braking. I think the most important thing is to have a great feel for your bike's tendencies when you have to hit the brakes hard on various surfaces. That, and trying to stay ahead of the problems that cause panic breaking, which makes riding a mental challenge as much as sheer joy. But, that's why we love it.
Happy trails!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:26 AM
RCW
Intermediate

ABS: Personal choice but to me it is a YES! I have been riding since the early sixties, dirt and street. There is no way a human can out "think" a computer. A skidding tire will not stop as fast as one that is not. Just watch the video at the dealer and I guarantee it will change your mind. I too thought that I was experienced enough to brake better than or at least as good as ABS. I have used it and it does work. The lever and pedal feel the same as non ABS to me. However, I do have Hawg Halters on my 80 FLT and the lever and pedal are much firmer and tighter feeling than stock brakes. Not really Apples to Apples though.

PRICE: The winter months are good for getting a deal as well as the end of a model year. Shop around.

RG or SG: Another personal choice. Go test ride one.

Good Luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:17 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If I were getting an 08, I would go with ABS, good for re-sale/trade and seems like a good idea on low traction days. Dealer I did like buying anything else, go for good price, service, and customer/ dealer relationship. As for the RG, it's ugly, rides like crap, uncomfortable, and no one thinks it's a Harley anyway, DON'T BUY ONE (I cant stay off of mine)

Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll only comment on the ABS - the rest is personal choice.

ABS is *NOT* over rated. What ABS is is a SUPPLEMENT to good braking habits. Hopefully, you'll never *need* them, but when it's wet out, when the situation calls for that *little* extra bit of braking skill that you may not have... it a good backup to your own braking skills. You yourself said that you're a re-entry rider. You're years away from being as good on the brakes as you think you are (note: the 08s Brembo brakes ROCK!). That's not an insult; just simple truth. So why *NOT* have that extra tool in your toolbox, ya know?

And if people are going to poo-poo ABS because of weight or cost, smile politely at them and ignore them; we're talking about an 800lb, $20k touring bike. Perspective.

Get them. It's definitely one of those "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" kind of things.

$.02/YMMV

Old 11-14-2007, 05:34 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

Welcome back to riding. I just came back after 30+ years away. Please take the Rider Safety Course for a refresher. You will be amazed on what you will remember ....and what you forgot. Its well worth the money and fun. I just ordered my 08 EGC with ABS. I feel it is well worth the money. Last summer the wife and I were heading up north to the NH mountains on my C50 when traffic stopped quicker then I noticed. I did lock up the rear wheel for a few feet and it made it required howl. The rear end did start to go out and I corrected ok. At that point I was wondering what I would have felt like if I ended up doing a low side and the Bride got hurt or killed. Not a fun thought!! So I ordered the ABS option...cheap insurance considering the alternitive. And piece of mind.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Old Man

Welcome back to riding. I just came back after 30+ years away. Please take the Rider Safety Course for a refresher. You will be amazed on what you will remember ....and what you forgot. Its well worth the money and fun.
He did...

ORIGINAL: NJMadDog

Greetings all, I have recently been bitten by the Harley bug again, I used to ride a Sporty a few years back, mainly bar hopping and cruising with some buddies. An old friend of mine rode down to my shore house this past summer on his brand new Road King and it was all over for me. Having been off the mean streets on two wheels for such a long time I figured being older and wiser I should get reacquainted with the sport the right way and went ahead and took the riders education course and man did I have some bad habits that were broken that weekend.

ORIGINAL: The Old Man

So I ordered the ABS option... cheap insurance considering the alternitive. And piece of mind.
*thumbs up*

Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 AM
BillyO
Road Captain

Do not under any circumstances purchase a Road Glide.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 AM
tkjones2
Banned

yeah them roadies are ulgy, smelly, and just plain nasty, and i wouldnt sell mine for anything Rent them both, and pick the one that speaks to you.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the RG beinga piece of chit. Don't do it, you'll never regret it...

Quick Reply: Another new guy looking for advice