Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it that important to winterize???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Is it that important to winterize???

ORIGINAL: Scout

Yes, fuel stabalizer in tank, change the oil when you put it away, and again before you ride it in the spring, tires up off the concrete, oil, or wd 40 sprayed into the exhaust pipes, wash and wax, grease all nipples, and DO NOT start the bike up over the storage period, unless you are riding it up to full operating temperatures. It's hard on the bike. Cold, shed storage, no prep work, with a weekly start up is the worst thing you can do for your bike over the winter.

Joe
...Ummm...could you please explain why you would dump oil out in the fall that's never been used..never heard that one in 40 years....

Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery tender, thick coat of wax. That's it.
I used to keep it in the shed, but now keep it in the garage where I can look at it every day. I didn't have room for it in the garage last year, so I kept on throwing crap out until there was enough room for the bike.
I don't cover it. I don't change the oil. I don't use StaBil in a fuel injected motor (no jets to gum up, so why bother). I live in Maine and ride it at least once a month.
Don't start it up and let it idle for a few minutes and think you are doing your bike any favors. At idle the engine runs rich and the extra fuel washes off the oil from the cylinder walls and the exhust gases tend to condense in the pipes and leave a crossive liquid in them.
My best advise would be to move from Long Island. I did 40 years ago.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stvmike

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned was fogging the motor.
I done this as marine machanic and still do it today to all my toys that go for a long winter nap.
I also do it while running to coat the upper end of the valve train.
We always did this to I/O and outboards.
What effect did it have on their O2 sensors?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
hall1836
Cruiser

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Also from Long Island, with the gas in our area USE stabil when laying up the bike over two months, had carb problems related to fuel in two bikes last year. Alcohol in the gas caused corrosion of the bowl needles after the bike was run dry.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I also like to put a couple Dry-z-air containers around my bike to keep the condensation off it. My shop is heated but just enough to keep completely dry.

I decided to winerize mine for a couple weeks in Arizona. Wife and I are leaving next week from Washington. 3000 mile trip.
Steve L.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't bother to start the bike at all!You cannot run it long enough to boil all the water you will make.At least change the motoroil,tend the battery,check the tires,throw a blanket over it.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Slash,

"Running it every now and then doesn't help unless you run it long enough to burn away all the condensation created.I never turn it on when it's in storage.All I do is put it away with fresh oil in all 3 holes,some fuel stabilizer,a battery tender and cover it with a cotton sheet."

Exactly right for the time period you are talking about (3 months storage in a wooden shed). When you add Stabil to the gas tank don't forget to ride it a couple miles first before you park it for good, this gets the fuel into all the lines, etc. Make sure the tank is FULL to the spout.

All I can add to this was already mentioned too... Stuff a rag in the tailpipes to keep mice out and you'll be good to go come springtime.

DO NOT START IT once a week as mentioned. Just leave her alone and she'll fire right up in springtime when you're ready to ride again.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Corndog
Cruiser

I leave mine a few inches off the ground on my Sears lift. Is that a good idea?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
combat_vet
Tourer

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Yes they are right, I forgot about fuel stabilizer, but dont use Stabil! Go get some Seafoam fuel stabilizer, most parts store sells it, it is much better to use. Only takes a small amount.
Why not? It is rated for motorcycles and either carb or EFI systems. My dealer recommended Stabil!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cali no winterizing.

Quick Reply: Is it that important to winterize???