Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who cares about bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Who cares about bearings?

Sorry if you're getting slammed a bit. Thanks for not getting pissed and tell us all to shove it.

I think we all let our bikes lug too much. One of the great things about Harleys is the low end torque that lets us pull from 2000 or less.

I would suspect that your dealer has had some expereince with premature engine failure which he blamed on engine lugging. I'm only guessing.
He must be referring to the crankshaft bearings that have failed in the past. Do a search here and you will get a bunch of hits on that.

Good luck. Don't get discouraged with this forum. There are some very helpful and knowledgable people here.
Steve L.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In THAT case, do yerself a favor - yer right, it's yer bike....but when yer out on a ride an' she blows on ya 'cuz ya abused it, THEN what? Take proper care of yer gear, an' you'll enjoy it more an' waste less $$$ on it doin' unnecessary repairs. Runnin' under 2k rpm is bad on the entire drive train. Bearings are what transfer the load from one component to another. Abuse 'em, an' they fail quickly AND with great fanfare.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Cool guys. Thanks! Never any need to be gentle to guys like me. Just let me have it! Tough love saves $$!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Too low an rpm can cause too little oil to reach theconnecting rod bearings. That means that when the engine fires and the piston gets slammed downward by the explosion the end of the connecting rod is also slammed against the crankshaft journals. In time they literally get pounded flat. Then, if your lucky, you replace the crank, the rods, etc. If you're not so lucky the motor gets pizzed at you, siezes up, sticks a rod through the cylinder into your leg and severs an artery. But that might not matter 'cause you're sliding on your azz down the friggin' interstate during rush hour and eleven-teen cars, three pickups, fivety-two SUVs, and twelvety-four 18-wheelers run over you.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 AM
24guns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Too low an rpm can cause too little oil to reach theconnecting rod bearings. That means that when the engine fires and the piston gets slammed downward by the explosion the end of the connecting rod is also slammed against the crankshaft journals. In time they literally get pounded flat. Then, if your lucky, you replace the crank, the rods, etc. If you're not so lucky the motor gets pizzed at you, siezes up, sticks a rod through the cylinder into your leg and severs an artery. But that might not matter 'cause you're sliding on your azz down the friggin' interstate during rush hour and eleven-teen cars, three pickups, fivety-two SUVs, and twelvety-four 18-wheelers run over you.
Ouch! [X(]

Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Grinner, you enjoy your Harley any way you want.Those bearings can be replaced,and I know boys that regularly idle their bikes way too low.They love it, I love it.After all you paid for your ride,that gives you a lot of control.I personally love the sound of a Hot Rodded Harley that has enough cam duration to make low idling impossible.To each his own.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:08 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Crank bearings are pretty cheap and can be replaced. Keep on lugging your motor. It sounds much cooler. When you have to get your bike fixed, you won't call your dealer an idiot, you'll call him a stealer after you see the sky high labor bill.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Forgot to say,if you have a TwinCam you are much better off because of the Gerotor oil pump.These pumps keep the oil pressure up even at low idle.It is the oil pressure or the lack of that is the bearing killer.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bearings? We don't need no stinking bearings!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:04 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought "bearings" is a term used for navigation?

Quick Reply: Who cares about bearings?