Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 ultra fills garage up with gas fumes

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: 08 ultra fills garage up with gas fumes

'06, same problem afer a long ride.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
HogToys
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No fumes from my 07 UC. With the way emission standards are, there's got to be something wrong if it's venting.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the overflow tube where it connects to the tank overflow spigot. Mine had split - found it removing thetach/speedo coverwhen I installed thetank bib on my Dyna. There was nothing there to hold it on to start with. It won't be leaking with less than an overfull tank, but the vapors do escape the tank through it.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 AM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I took my bike in to the dealer saturday. They inspected the overflow fitting under the tank panel. Checked the gas cap and could notfind any problem with the bike. They told me to ride it and report back.I rode it home from the dealers about 20 miles and had some small fumes coming from it in the garage. Yesterday i put 75 miles on it, parked in the garage with both cars left out. I left after about 30 min the fumes were starting to build up. I came back in an hour and the fumes were so bad you could smell them in the car pulling in with the windows rolled up. The entire garage had filled up with gas fumes. Had to leave the door open till they cleared. So Back to the dealer it goes. The saga continues...

Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's just the hot engine heating up the gas tank and the vapors are venting. After parking your bike, feel the bottom of the gas tank after a few minutes to see what I'm talking about.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rocksandgiz

After riding my new ultra and parking it in the garage the entire garage lills up with gas fumes and its getting into my utility room. I have to crack the garage door open to air it out. I'm worried it might explode by the water heater or furnace. I had HD dealer look at it during my 1000 mile service, but of course they say they cant find anything wrong with it.
Anybody elses new bike do this? is it normal or do I have a gas leak somwhere? I looked under the bike and the fitting under the tank, but it was dry. Any ideas how to fix it? I dont have a manual yet, it's ordered but there not getting any in till nov 30,2008. Thanks for any ideas. Rick
It is trying to tell you it doesn't want to be put in the garage.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 08 Ultra and during the colder fall weather always stop at the gas station at the end of a ride to fill up....I don't over-fill, but I do fill up. Frequentlyl I'm coming home from a 100-200 ride and park in the garage. I can smell the hot engine and exhaust pipes but never have had any kind of gas smell with this or any other bike I've owned. Something isn't right if it smells that bad.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the new EPA standards, vehicles have to pass a test where they come off the dyno and into an evap shed. This prevents manufactures from bottling up vapors during the test and then releasing them later, like when you turn the bike off and park it in the garage.
The vapor pressure from the gas is normal, but the closed system on new bikes is designed to prevent it from getting into the atmosphere.
Could be something a simple as a hose clamp.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:41 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have that problem w/my '08. I usually let it sit outside for about 15 minutes or so just to avoid all that heat in the garage, but no gas fume smell.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had that for awhile with the 07' about 2-months went away.

Quick Reply: 08 ultra fills garage up with gas fumes