Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy, Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 AM
nationalbar
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy, Road Glide

Hello, new guy here.
If I may, I’d like to relate my story of how I came to acquire my ‘07 Road Glide. This is from a guy who never in his wildest dreams thought he would ever own a Harley-Davidson. Nope, not me.
I’m not a Harley guy. No tattoos, not into the leather chaps, half-helmet, chrome-everywhere, loud-pipes thing. Not interested in bike weeks or Sturgis. Previous bike was a ‘02 Kawasaki Concours. I come from a more sport-touring mindset. Long coast-to-coast 6 week summer tours. Not into canyon-carving but smooth relaxing two lane US highways and secondary roads. No Interstates if I can avoid them. Euro-style armored textile jackets and armored leather sport riding pants and Sidi sport-touring boots and full-face helmets and racing gloves. Harleys? No way, give me a break. Too big, slow, clunky, all show, no go, way too retro for my taste. And they leak oil, don’t they? That was my prejudice. Early last year I decided it was time to move on from the Kawi. Top choices were the Yamaha FJR1300 and BMW R1200RT. Rode the FJR owned by a friend. Fast with superb handling. Smooth. Plenty of dealers just in case. Good sized saddlebags, room for the laptop. But at my 56 years and lower spine problems and bursitis the somewhat forward lean just wouldn’t work for long tours. Test rode the BMW R1200RT. Excellent bike. Fine reputation as a long distance tourer. More upright. Cruise control. More my style. But tall. I’m 5’8”. Found a dealer with one that had the low seat and lowered suspension. Much better, but somehow, still didn’t feel quite right. Kinda quirky. But I thought, I’ll get used to it. Small dealer network a concern, but good reputation for reliability kept me hanging on. OK, then, that’s what it’ll be. A bimmer.
Last spring I visited my brother for a week. He owns an ‘06 Road Glide. We discussed my impending purchase of the BMW. Nice bike he says. Ever consider a Harley? Nah, c’mon, you know me, I’m not the Harley type. Take mine for a ride he says, see what you think, keep an open mind. To humor him I did. I’ll take it out for 15 minutes, and I’ll be polite and praise it upon return. But I know it won’t change my mind. Come on, it’s a Harley! I’m buying a BMW! So I go for a ride. Hmm. Not bad. Very comfortable. 15 minutes becomes 30 minutes. Not quick like the Yamaha or BMW. But I don’t ride fast these days, I rarely exceed the speed limit. I like it smooth and easy. Enjoying the countryside. 30 minutes becomes an hour. I kinda like it. It’s easy riding. Feels nice. Then an hour becomes an hour and a half. I bring it back. Got a sh*t-eating grin on my face and he points it out. Not bad, eh?? he says. Yeah, uh, I kinda like it! Not very fast, but fast enough for my riding and for passing a slow truck on a two lane. Very easy to ride. Relaxing. Good wind protection behind that shark-nose fairing. And footboards. And cruise control. Very enjoyable and not what I thought. Very different from the Kawi and Yamaha and BMW, but it seems to fit my needs very well. Hmm again. Lots of dealers across the country. I take it out again the next day. Two hours this time. I gotta think about this…
Two weeks later, I pulled the trigger. On an ’07 Road Glide. Not the BMW. Never in a million years did I think I would own a Harley. But it suits me perfectly. Huh. Go figure. Did add a PCIII, Ness Big Sucker and RB 2 into 1 black hole pipes. Reduced the heat. I still ride with the Euro-style gear and full face. I suppose it looks a little odd on a Harley, but I like the protection. Rode coast to coast this past summer for 5 weeks on the Road Glide. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Best ride I ever had. Had a great time, met some interesting people. Except for regular maintenance and a few tires, no problems at all. Still don’t care for all the chrome but I can live with it. So ther

Old 11-11-2007, 11:19 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned
Default RE: New Guy, Road Glide

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Now practice the Road Glide Oath: YOU DO NOT WANT A ROAD GLIDE!

Don't tell anyone else about Harley's best kept secret.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 AM
lschultz
Road Master

You ain't lost yet you finally came around. Some do some don't. I never liked the looks of the RG that damn fairing and them two headlights but after my son had his Sportster 1200 a while and he started talking about his next bike would be a Roadglide. I did not say nothing it is his money. He got a 07 and after riding it I says to myself maybe that son of mine knows something I don't. I rode it a few times and they do grow on you. Once your riding I did not even think about the frame mounted fairing. They are sweet machines. Well a drunk SOB turned in front of him and the 07 got totaled but he will get him a 08 RG. Enjoy that Glide.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Agent Orange
Cruiser

Would you SHUT UP....everyone will want one..I guess I shouldnt talk too much,I;m a recent convert from a road king..What a great motorcycle we have here!! SHHHH

Old 11-11-2007, 12:01 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Great story, they say harley riders have bad attitudes but what I have seen it's more the other way around. Most people with negative comments about harleys have never ridden one. Once you throw a leg over one and feel that low center of gravity and the easy handling, it's easy to see why theres such a loyal following.

Congrats on the new roadie and welcome to HD forums.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 PM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard!!!! Now tell everyone they are pieces of crap and take the oath. Anyway good luck and ride safe.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

Welcome Nationalbar!

Thanks for sharing your story...but...you obviously are new to this forum and the Road Glide oath. Remember, if anyone askes "the Road Glide Sucks". Over the past few months I'm seeing a ton of RG threads....what's up with that? Now I'm seeing three posts in a row on RG's!

I bought mine cause of the ride and the different (ugly) look. Now everybody (and their brother) is hooking up with one. Gonna have to look at something else now.....pretty soon there will be as many as those batwing jobs and I won't be able to find mine in the damn parking lot!

Enjoy this forum...I've learned a ton as I'm sure you will too...

Old 11-11-2007, 12:27 PM
nationalbar
3rd Gear

Thanks for the welcome. I'll just place a big BMW sticker on my gas tank and tell everyone, "Ya, it's the new Harley-style Beemer!"......

Old 11-11-2007, 12:30 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great story. I was shopping for a soft tail custom when I ended up riding a RG. The rest is history.

I have the same bike you have. I've been spending a lot of time and $ on upgrades especially the Stage 1. Bike finally runs like a top. Sound like you paid your Harley Tax too!

Got some pics of your new ride???
Steve L.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Navitimer
Cruiser

Great story, nationalbar! Welcome to HDs! I'm sure you'll enjoy your RG for many years!

Quick Reply: New Guy, Road Glide