Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: true duals or not ?

ORIGINAL: corgi

Sound also gets better with age. It sounds so much different and better after about 1000 miles.
Why would they? They aren't glasspacks with the fiberglass matting getting burned out. There's nothing in them to burn out and make the sound change. If there was, I'd be concerned in how long they would last if after 1k miles the guts had started to burn up.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM
MajorJim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed V&H dual headers yesterday. I already have the Oval V&H slipons. I have 47,000 miles on my 05 RK Custom. The sound at idle is quieter, but when you are getting on the Highway it gets a lot louder. One of the guys I ride with, always rides behind me, says it is a lot louder and better sounding now. I can feel a small amount more power in the upper RPM range. My wife says the bike sounds a lot better from her seat behind me and said I should have done this a lot sooner.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:05 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a true duals conversion which is basically the same as what you are doing except cheaper. Well, used to be cheaper. The Torres kit cost almost as much as the dresser duals now. Anyway, I did it for the heat issue with the right side pipe. I do know that the sound is different because you get more exhaust on the right side. I think some of the guys call it "stereo" sound.

I did the install myself to save a bit of cash so I could spend it on other things. I also did not get my bike dynoed.
Steve L.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 PM
HOGNUTZ
Cruiser

Go for it. It makes a difference. It also looks cleaner. IMO.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 PM
BigBuddy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BTROUT

I am thinking of installing vance hines dresser duals to go
along with my vh ovals......
Excellent combination! I didn't notice ANY seat-of-the-pants difference in performance, but I don't push mine that hard. The look, sound, and elimination of heat on my leg, made this one of the best mods I've installed.

And I also agree that you should save yourself a fair amount of money by installing them yourself! Easy job...WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS!!

Old 11-11-2007, 01:37 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

How much difference does the PCIII and true dual headers make? I already have the Stage I download, VH slash cuts, and SE air cleaner.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:36 PM
steelhead
Road Master

I won't be able to speak to the true dual part of your question until next week (I had hoped to install them thisweekend but they have not shown up yet) but adding a PCIII this summer did give the bike added muscle. My buddy even commented that even two-up, my bike seemed to smoke his away from lights after the install. I din't think the difference was shocking but it is there. I was running the same set-up as you before.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:23 PM
BigBuddy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironhead3fan

How much difference does the PCIII and true dual headers make? I already have the Stage I download, VH slash cuts, and SE air cleaner.
Like I said, I haven't seen any noticeable gain or loss in performance with the V&H Dresser Duals. The PCIII was added to adjust the MAP for the increased flow of the duals. The stage 1 dowload is just to compensate for your freer flowing slip-ons and the SEAC.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
oneshotdog
Tourer

I've got V&H slip ons and I'm considering on going to rienhart true duels and slip ons, now they are way louder than the V&H

Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Finished the Dresser Dual install this weekend and took her out for a couple of rides. It did change the sound. At idle it has a slight underwater sound to it but under throttle a deep stereo bark. Overall I thinkit sounds much more potato-potato like than before.

My seat of the pants observation is that if it lost any low-end it is minimal and appears to have more pep at high end but who knows. Each could be an artifact of the new map I am running after the install. Jamie at Fuelmoto sent me a map for the duals. Based on my prior experieince with his maps, I think it might be a bit rich. I will put a tank or two through it and then start modifying if needed.

Quick Reply: true duals or not ?