Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break-In Maintenance - Can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 01:01 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Break-In Maintenance - Can I do?

I've almost got 1000 miles on my Street Glide so it's time to get the break-in maintenance done. I have 2 questions. It's a long ride to my dealer. I don't want to have to drop off the bike and then pick it up later. I'd rather avoid the hassle and do it myself. I have the Harley shop manual and decent mechanical savvy. If I do the maintenance myself, will this void the warranty in any way? I know that I should keep receipts for all of the oil, gaskets, etc... My dealer told me that it "might" void the warranty. Sounds bogus to me. Anyone know for sure?

Second question: I want to switch to synthetic oil due to living in So Cal with warm weather. There is no way to drain the crankcase completely of all of the original factory dino oil unless I have a pump of some sort (I don't). What I will end up with is 4 new quarts of synthetic along with whatever dino oil is left over in the bottom of the crankcase. Should I be concerned about this? My guess is no, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Doug

Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Break-In Maintenance - Can I do?

I'm in the same boat. No HD dealer close by. The dealer I bought the bike from said I could do my own maintenance or use an independent shop. Just keep the receipts. Don't know about the oil change since I had the dealer change mine to Syn3 when some engine work was being done.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:59 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Doing your 1000 mile maintenance will not void any warrantee. Go HERE and list your vin and miles and it will tell you what gets done. Also go over the bike and check fasteners too. Pick up the service manual also as a guide.

Also switch to the synthetic with no worries, they mix and will not cause any problems. Just let the dino drain for a while for peace of mind.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:07 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, less than one hour goes by and I've got all of my answers. Love this board. Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas.

Doug