Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any real difference in air cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:32 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any real difference in air cleaners

DOH!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:46 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say keep doing what you are doing and prove them all wrong and let them know so. Avoid the scare and run it like a raped ape.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might last quite a while that way, but the laws of physics cannot be flaunted indefinitely.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

when my '03 ultra was 100% stock it would pull pretty good up to 2500 rpm's. them kinda fall flat with the power. with the k&n filter and se slip ons along with the power commander, it still runs good to 2500, but has alot more pull up to 95 mph. when you open up the exhaust and intake thats where you'll see the big difference.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 AM
vettedog72
Tourer

I read a comparison of flow rates for various air cleaners and all of themflowed (even the stock filter)way over the amount of air the motorrequires. BUT the SE ($139) filter makes the cover stick out about 3/4" more than stock ANDyou can HEAR THE MOTORPULLING ALL THAT AIR IN. If you are going to buy a new filter I would get a stage II because it flowsmore air than the stage I but it will not flow any more air than the motor will demand. The difference is the filtered area is larger and if nothing else, it willallow the motor's airdemands with less restriction as the filter gets dirty.

I am just thinking out loud here as Iam no expert but I think the back plate (the plate that connects to the air inlet of the FI and theFI side of the filter)is about as important as the surface area of the filter material as far as performance is concerned.Also, there does not seem to be much interest in "cold air" with stock,stage I or II. The stockfilter would appear to pull the hotest airbecause it pulls air closer tofins of the motor. The other filters are a little further away fromthe motor but not much. That leaves you with the best system being the tube with a 90* turn toward the front of the bike?

Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Scootr
Road Master

ORIGINAL: big cahuna

when my '03 ultra was 100% stock it would pull pretty good up to 2500 rpm's. them kinda fall flat with the power. with the k&n filter and se slip ons along with the power commander, it still runs good to 2500, but has alot more pull up to 95 mph. when you open up the exhaust and intake thats where you'll see the big difference.
I feel the same way on my SG with Rush/BS/PCIII. It pulls stronger at all power settings especially higher up. Really notice it pulling on to the highway where you go hard from 20-80 mph. I can tell it pulls so muchstronger now all the way up.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: vettedog72

I read a comparison of flow rates for various air cleaners and all of themflowed (even the stock filter)way over the amount of air the motorrequires. BUT the SE ($139) filter makes the cover stick out about 3/4" more than stock ANDyou can HEAR THE MOTORPULLING ALL THAT AIR IN. If you are going to buy a new filter I would get a stage II because it flowsmore air than the stage I but it will not flow any more air than the motor will demand. The difference is the filtered area is larger and if nothing else, it willallow the motor's airdemands with less restriction as the filter gets dirty.
I guess I'm confused. What's a "Stage II" air filter? There is only one SE air cleaner kit, Stage I. The Screamin' Eagle® Street Legal Big Bore Stage II Kit includes a SE Stage I air cleaner kit.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

<quote> ORIGINAL: glens

On the surface, it originally looked like he might have been on to something. Like maybe the resonances, etc. of the stock airbox were tuned to work "just right" or something.

Then, in a later issue, it came to light that he was doing the mufflers / air cleaner tests without having done any tuning of the ECU at all. No wonder the stock unit performed better. I believe he later put a Cobra fueler on that bike and tested it again. I wonder how the airboxes would compare with the fueler (properly set for each combination)... /quote>

That is correct. Minton is doing a series of articles, one step at a time, to let us all know what works and what doesn't. He did not get any substantial gains until the fuel was adjusted. The articles are on the American Rider web site, and definitely worth reading.

Here's the link that will take you to the articles, and others.

http://www.americanrider.com/more.cfm?sectionid=348

Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM
vettedog72
Tourer

Jim
I dont really know the difference between the SE filtersand stage II filters. I had a Arlen Ness stage II (with K&N filter) ordered and because of PO Box vs physical address and timing constraints with my dealer, I had the dealer install the SE filter along with the SERT and Truduals. I never saw the AN stage II with the backing plate and can not compare the differences other than what I read. Oddly enough the HD SE filter was $139 and the AN stage II was $159 (delivered). I have not looked at the new SE element or the backing plate as they were installed by the dealer. I do have the OEM filter and backing plate. The outward difference I can see is the SE stands off about 3/4" more than the OEM. From pictures the AN has a conical shaped element that was big enough to carry a notice that it may not fit under the OEM cover. I understand Stage 1 equates to SE filter. Harley may not have anything bigger in filter surface. Now that I think about it, I guess stage II filters may be a description AN uses and not Harley vernacular.