Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When should I rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM
mountian man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When should I rebuild

I was just reading on another thread where a fellow rider is planning a 95 upgrade,My question is when shouldI start thinking about this.My RK custon 05 just has 15,000 on it and has started using some oil.I only bought the bike in June 07 ,Did'nt seem to use any oil between oil changes at first,(I change every 3,000 mi.).It only had 5,400 on it ,now in Nov.and it has 15,000,I do a lot of riding.Love to ride.Should I be worried about this oil use.It will use about a quart between changes.One quart of oil in three thousand miles seems like alot.I ue Mobil 1 in engine,What do you think.Somebody give me some advice.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43123/0BD99169670A4298816CA87E41496948.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts
Default RE: When should I rebuild

No time like the present. If you can afford it now, go for it now. You already have the pipes. A/C and fuel management so all you would need is a 95 or 98 kit and some compatible cams and you would be set. Headwork would get good resultsor you could just bore the jugs and change the cams. Thendyno it and be done.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummmm.....15k an' ya wanna do a rebuild?? Personally, ah'd say ya have many more tens ofthousands left on that engine. Somethin' may be leakin' somewhar, but that's a matter of findin' an' correctin' the problem. Now, iffen yer jest lookin' fer an excuse, then go fer it!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM
mountian man
Cruiser

No,No leaking any where that I can find,And I wish I had that kinda money just layin around,But truth is I don't.I'm not looking for a reason.I'm just concerned about the oil lose,Do anyone else have to add that much oil.I hope I can ride 100,000 out of her.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck I know new cars that burn more then 1qt every 3k miles. Keep an eye on it and dont let it get low till you can tear it down.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:23 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, I have the same bike, and same issue (with oil burning). I posted about it a while back. For the '05 it is an issue with the valve seals. The dealer was swapping them out, if the bike still has warranty left. Mine ended in Sept, and that was when it was becoming an issue. I loose about a quart every 2000, or so. The MoCo allows for a half to one quart every 1000-1500 miles. If you have warranty left, take it in. If not, and the burning oil bothers you, you can have the valve seals replaced. I am sure that is the issue you are having, as it is so similar to what I am experiencing with my '05 rk custom.

As far as a build goes, I am doing a 95" build this winter. I only have 10k on my bike (it was rough getting out this summer), but I am doing it not because the engine needs a rebuild, but because I want some more get up and go. I bought some used jugs and pistons, and am now looking for some cams (and a jet kit). For me, the 88" is okay. Two up, and the bike is a bit sluggish, but not that bad. But, as any type "A" person will tell you, "If a little is good, more is better." LOL You might be just fine with a new cam, which would give you about 4 more HP and Torque. But, with jugs and pistons, you will get a bit more. Then comes head work, and still a little more... it just never ends. LOL Next thing ya know, you will be going to the 120" build so many guys are doing this winter.

If I have learned anything from this forum... it is how to spend my money. LOL

Old 11-09-2007, 05:15 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with the bad valve seal diagnosis since your bike is an '05.

I have 68k miles on my 2000. It doesn't need any oil added between changes, doesn't smoke, and still runs like new. I have all of the parts sitting on a shelf for a big bore job. However, I'm not doing a top end till I need it.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy a heck of a lot of oil and still have money left over, compared to the price of a rebuild.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uncle Scrooge

You can buy a heck of a lot of oil and still have money left over, compared to the price of a rebuild.
Or even just fix the actual problem and still have pocket cash rather than a full rebuild.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 AM
mountian man
Cruiser

It is still under Extended warranty,The regular factory is out but I have 4 more yrs.on extened,I'm going to check with Carolina HD and see what they got to say about it.If its like a lot of other warranties Well they will come up with some reason why they don't have to pay for it ,well I'll just see how good it is.I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: When should I rebuild