Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Sat radio module

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:54 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XM Sat radio module

Has anyone ever installed the XMadd-on themselves to the Harmon Kardon radio? What's involved?

I've been using a handlebar mount XM receiver but the wife told me she'd get me the HD XM unit for Christmas. I don't much like anyone else's hands on my bike if I can help it so I'm thinking about installing it myself. I'm fairly handy, do my own maintenance on bikes and cars including valve adjustments on my Suzuki. I installed the HD cruise control on my previous Classic so I'm thinking I shouldn't have a problem. What say you?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Blueslover
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XM Sat radio module

ORIGINAL: dstockton

Has anyone ever installed the XMadd-on themselves to the Harmon Kardon radio? What's involved?

I've been using a handlebar mount XM receiver but the wife told me she'd get me the HD XM unit for Christmas. I don't much like anyone else's hands on my bike if I can help it so I'm thinking about installing it myself. I'm fairly handy, do my own maintenance on bikes and cars including valve adjustments on my Suzuki. I installed the HD cruise control on my previous Classic so I'm thinking I shouldn't have a problem. What say you?
I haven't looked at the harness for a standard (non CVO) Ultra, but since you've got the HK radio, I would assume all the harness is there, or the connections would be provided with the XM module. That being said, it's as easy as pie...module sits on top of the radio..it's abot 1" thick and 3x6 inches w/l. Plug the module in, one screw holds it to the top of the radio, plug the XM antenna in and enjoy.

HD may provide a bracket that resides inside the fairing for the XM "puck"...depending on where you live, this may not provide optimum reception. I relocated mine to the top of the dash and it receives 100% better. Love the XM...it's about all I listen to any more.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
gene01
Road Captain

you actually need a wiring harness for it, the whole install including removing the fairing takes about an hour, anyone can do it..... you have the module, the antenna the antenna mount and the wiring harness, remove the fairing...... to install the module remove a single screw from on top of the stereo put the module in spot, tighten the single screw....... for the antenna and the moung, the mount clips onto the inner fairing and has a single screw to mount for security.... place the magnetic antenna on the mount (I used double stick tape) plug the end of the antenna cable into the module (push plug) plug into the wiring harness, replace outer fairing and you are ready to go with a quick call to XM Radio .... they will give you the first 3 months for free...... simple....

Thank hands free is a little more complicated.....

Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I am probably gonna break down and do this as well.. I wish Harley offered Sirius as well.. It's not all that much different to offer both I guess if the merger ever finishes I will get what I want anyway Pulling the fairing apart is not difficult and installing is easy as long as you have all your parts in order.. I will do it in December..

Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 PM
gene01
Road Captain

sirius would do you no good, early this next year sirius will be changed to the xm format as theyare selling to or purchasing to XM earlier this year pending government approval.... they were underperforming...... sell or close you know........... XM was gaining all of the market share rapidly

Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 PM
colaSG
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine, it's easy. I also used a powered antenna for the am/fm and installed it under the fairing at the same time. No more whip to deal with. I could of just unpluged it. I havn't used fm since. XM is the only way to go.
Mike

Old 11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gene01

sirius would do you no good, early this next year sirius will be changed to the xm format as they were sold to XM early this year.... they were underperforming...... sell or close you know...........
Ummm I don't know where you heard this, but Sirius has been kicking XM's butt... It's a merger, not a sale...

Old 11-08-2007, 06:05 PM
gene01
Road Captain

well, the deal was when they took on Oprah and Howard stear as sales were dropping, they Merged (saved their asses) as XM was doing well and sirus was dying....

Old 11-08-2007, 06:05 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

XM Value $2 Billion
Sirius Value $5 Billion

http://www.radiosatellite.org/

Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gene01

well, the deal was when they took on Oprah and Howard stear as sales were dropping, they Merged (saved their asses) as XM was doing well and sirus was dying....
Ummm... I don't think so... I think they see it as a win win for them to merge.. Sirius was spanking XM's behind after Howard came on, then they got NFL, NBA and NASCAR... Sirius is the better choice in Satellite radio programming, hands down. There are things about XM I like, but I hope most of Sirius' programming stays in tact when / if the merger completes..

Quick Reply: XM Sat radio module