Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Liquid-cooled touring bikes 09 or 10

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HD Liquid-cooled touring bikes 09 or 10

MOCO is tight lipped and all those involved have signed contracts to keep all confidential information just that. I know what you guys know. I do know from conversation that Harley's heart and soul is in the current configuration and will stay as long as possible in the big bore V-twin that we all love. It will probably be our kids that will be first to see an all 02 Hog. there is some things I have seen on other engines for water cooling that would easily fit into Harleys line-up. Look at the new Buell's. The new 1125 is water cooled(cylinder heads only).
I do know that some people have beat up Harley's R&D and can attest that HD tests their own product as well as other manufactures bikes to the same standards as Harley's. They don't even finish the same test's as ours. They are testing somany things that I have no clue on, we have to stay tuned. I will let you know as soon as I hear. 2450cc is roughly 150 cubic inches. 131 foot pounds STOCK. My bike makes that with 8g's in the motor. That would be impressive.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so someone wrote an email let's not forget the history behind the air-cooled motors. It has always been harleys bread and butter. The company will find someway to combat the heat and I don't thinkits by eliminating the air-cooled motor. There are dozens of radiated bikes out there so why is everyone running to buy a HD, regardless of claims of better reliablity, better performance etc. I'm not saying there will not be some more liquid cooled bikes available just can't see them sticking the air cooled motors in a "museum"

Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said Pop's.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM
schmeg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a lifelong Japper owner since the mid seventies, and have owned a lot of machines, air and liquid cooled. Dirt and street. They all run hot in traffic. At one point I had a 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 V4 liquid. Drove it 41000 miles. Great bike, good power. Ran hot in town. I bought my first Harley this year (2001FLHT) because I needed a touring bike that still behaved like a motorcycle, not a car. The Gold Wing is a wonderful pice of technology, as is the Beemer. They are just too big for me, and they lack any personallity whatsoever. I bought my Bagger for what it is. Simple, easy to ride, good power (yes its a 95) and it does what I want., It gives me the experience that motorcycling should be. I am not a poser that is looking for boulivard image, I need a bike that will gobble up miles day after day, and leave me feeling like I went on a bike ride. Liquid cooling is good for building power, quieting down engine clatter and controlling internal engine temps. I'm sure the engineers would love to have access to it, but These are the reasons why I made the switch to Harley.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: old95

Just received the Fall issue of HD's Enthusiast mag.. As we are all aware this is published by HD & every word, article & comment is carefully reviewed by HD prior to it being released. As such please note an email that appears on page 8.

"Instead of using V-Rod engine technology to create a liquid-cooled 100hp Touring model, the Motor Company increased the cubic displacement of its air-cooled engine. All this "beat the heat" advise would not be necessary if the new models were fitted with Revolution engines. My Harley-riding friends and I hope the Company will wake up and finally realize that oversized air-cooled motorcycle engines are ready for museums and move into the 21st century with liquid-cooling"

I honestly believe NO ONE at HD would have permited this email to appear in THEIR mag. withoutknowing that this is what they are doing at this very time. I'm now going to wait on buying a new bike as a HD liquid-cooled touring bike is the future from a performance, comfort, and EPA standpoint. I'm excited & looking forward to it.
(This hint from HD was just to bold to miss)
All I can say is, "IT'S ABOUT TIME".

Now stand back and cover your ears as the cro-magnons start baying at the moon over this heathen thinking.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:48 PM
chornbe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rjrivero

I beileve that bike is a V-Rod with the Road-Rod touring setup from Cycle Visions. I have seen them, and ridden them. The steering geometry isn't right. There is just too much rake in the front, and makes it a bit cumbersome with the weight on the front.
Agreed. Far too much rake for a tourer.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:52 PM
chornbe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: pop1

Ok, so someone wrote an email let's not forget the history behind the air-cooled motors. It has always been harleys bread and butter. The company will find someway to combat the heat and I don't thinkits by eliminating the air-cooled motor. There are dozens of radiated bikes out there so why is everyone running to buy a HD, regardless of claims of better reliablity, better performance etc. I'm not saying there will not be some more liquid cooled bikes available just can't see them sticking the air cooled motors in a "museum"
Museum? No. But that whole "don't take away my air-cooled engine" mentality is exactly what's wrong with Harley's current engines. Harley's engineers are not limiting Harley's possibility. The customers are limiting Harley by demanding the sound, the air cooling, the look, the SHAKE, etc.

Shame, really.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:22 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I bet they are working on more water cooled motorcycles as we speak.

They started working on the EVO project in late 1976....nobody knew about it until the late 1983. They started designing the Twin Cam in 1992.....nobody knew about it until late 1998.

When they were designing the EVO.....they were also putting together the water cooled bikes, "NOVA." However, money was tight and couldn't afford to make two new engines....so the EVO won.

They actually built several bikes under "NOVA." Some were sport related, cruiser, and touring bikes....only just a handful were ever made. None were sold to the public.

So, here we are 30 years later......EPA and government regluations are more strict, much more competition, Harleys are being mass produced, and times are getting harder for Harley. In a nutshell....the whole economy is not in the greatest shape. Maybe it is time......for something like "NOVA" which we never got.

Some people will only buy air cooled motorcycles.....this is why we have Harley.
Some people will only buy water cooled motorcycles....this is why Harley needs to consider "NOVA" again. It will attract more potential customers, in turn will bring more profit.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The air-cooled motor, the shake, and the sound is Harley Davidson. All the Jap companies have spent millions of dollars trying to copy these exact traits, so much that harley tried to patent the sound of the harley. So next time you see a V-Star driving down the street, remember the bike would not even exist if it wasn't for the air-cooled V-Twin in the Harley Davidson. Some guys also will say that liquid cooled motors are more reliable. I don't think so. I have seen air cooled harleys with 100,000 miles on them and liquid cooled motors getting rebuilt at 20k. I think the more technical they get the less reliable they will be. If you look at the actually V-Twin design aside from a few details it is really the exact same motor they have been building for over 100yrs. and is a very simple design. Just doesn't seem realistic that the very motor that has brought them where they are todaywould be discontinued. Besides if you want a water cooled harley buy a v-rod.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD will have to change sometime.

Quick Reply: HD Liquid-cooled touring bikes 09 or 10