Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wreck and bike totaled

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 AM
twinfreeze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wreck and bike totaled

i am doing this one-handed and with the wrong hand to boot. 10 days ago my son and i had a wreck on a north missouri hiway. he is ok, and i came away with two broken ribs, broken shoulder blade, and a fracture near the collar bone. stiff and sore, but up and going (slowly) now. I think the bike was totaled.

Here is my question. the bike was an 05 ultra with 17500 miles on it. i kinda know what trade value is, but what should i be looking at for a settlement as a total from the insurance folks? also, if they don't total the bike what would the ultra be worth as salvage? engine and tranny value, etc?

by the way, my acc helmet did its job that day.
thanks for the help and ride safe. we were lucky!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Cycleman6
Cruiser
Default RE: wreck and bike totaled

Sorry to hear that you had a spill but glad you are okay. As far as values, I'm sorry I can't help you out with that, but wanted to extend my sympathy’s.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:08 AM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't help you on the trade value but am glad you and your son are alright (for the most part anyway).

Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you two (especially your son) came away more or less alright.

Can't help you with your other questions however. My guess would be that the amount you get depends on if you were at fault in he accident. If somebody ELSE was, I would expect my bike to be REPLACED, even if it's replacement cost more than my bike was worth. If it is Your Fault, you can be assured that your insurance company is gonna try to low ball you.

Best of luck.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Scootr
Road Master

Glad you guys made it as well as you did. It's a good thing that you are well enough to worry about the money Sorry I am not the best person to talk to about the values of those items but I too wanted say how glad I am that you both are still with us.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The numbers are gonna vary all over the board - even by locale. Best thing you can do is :

1. Go to kbb.com, and enter the information regarding equipment, etc. and see what it tells you the RETAIL (if bought from a dealer) of the bike is.

2. Go to your dealer, ask 'em what that bike would cost you if you bought it from them. Ask 'em to put it in writing. Don't try to get 'em to "puff" the numbers - just get an honest value. You might luck out and find they have one on the floor.

3. Pull ALL receipts for accessories you've added an' total them up. If self-installed, don't forget to add up what it'd cost to have 'em installed by the dealer. If you have the list in hand when ya go see 'em on the bike value, they can give you a total purty quick. Tell 'em not to discount any of it, but again - don't puff it up.

4. Any riding gear that was lost damaged is usually covered as well - helmet, clothing, etc. Again, documentation will help ya.

NOW yer ready to total it up and KNOW what they owe ya. Regardless of fault, they have to make you whole again (less any applicable deductible). There's usually "wriggle room", but if they know you've got all yer ducks in a row they'll usually shoot straight - and sometimes they'll surprise you. Was rear-ended back in 2000, an' they totalled mah truck. Underinsured motorist, so my ins. company stepped up to the plate. Gave me what I considereda VERY fair settlement, only ta have 'em call me back a coupla days later an' tell me that after further review, they felt they had UNDERPAID me on my truck, an' cut me a check for another $2k!

So, don't assume they're gonna screw ya, but just be ready for 'em if they try it. Let THEM make the first offer - you do NOT have to accept it, and if ya have documentation, they'll hafta take it into account.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like trade-in would be $12,105, retail at $16,845 right now. Sorry to hear about your troubles but congratulations on the way it turned out physically for you two.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ACV (Actual Cash Value) is not the same as trade values listed by Kelly or NADA. You may want to consider a settlement where you retain the bike provided you do not have a loan on the bike. If you have a loan, let the insurance and lender fight this out. You may owe more than the ACV. It costs a little more, but I carry a policy with a fixed (agreed) Replacement Value. Once agreed upon the value is good for 3 years and then you renegotiate with the Ins co. for another 3 year value.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:26 AM
gordon188
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what ever they give you, they must also include sales tax. That goes into the total amount for the bike, accessories, and if you weren't at fault new leathers.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't help you with the value. I can teach you how not to crash, though.

Quick Reply: wreck and bike totaled