Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wreck and bike totaled

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: wreck and bike totaled

....I am an adjuster in MA and can tell you that if you're in this state you can take that silly Kelly Blue Book and throw it in the trash..no one uses it in the trade....we use NADA and the starting point for value is "High retail", then deduct/add for high mleage, deduct for prior damage, and add/deduct for certain options. Bear in mind that different companies have different ways of approaching settlement, and then it varies State to State. In a nutshell you should be looking for the dollars it would take for you to buy a same year/same model...not a brandy-new unit...good luck

Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, it's as ah told him - the KBB gives him a point of reference - it's NOT the only answer. An' yer right on the NADA - he should be able ta git hold of that through his bank, or at his dealer.

As to retaining a lawyer.....NOT!! Ya retain one now, he's gonna git a percentage of ANY recovery. Wait until ya see if ya need him first. You can TALK to one, get his input on the ins an' outs, but do not place him on this case unless it goes south. A good one will give ya information you can use, guidance as ta what you should insist on, an' charge ya nuthin' for it. If he wants to start "preparin' legal action NOW" - run.

When ah wuz rear-ended, I consulted mah attorney, took his guidance/suggestions, an' ended up 'bout whar he figgered ah should. He told me ta settle it thar, 'cuz tryin' ta push 'em higher would require him ta git involved, which would result in a net decrease in the amount ah wuz puttin' in mah pocket.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Sad storybut good ending except for the bike glad to see you all good

Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I belive you do need a PI Atty, most of them will take a % of the injury settlement and give you the full amt on the bike settlement... Glad you and your son will be fine and hope your up riding again soon.... But get all your documention in order....

Old 11-09-2007, 01:17 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

too bad about the wreck, hope you both are doing better.
there's a lot of variables in the valuation of the bike.
different insurance companies, different areas of the country,
etc.
But if you can afford to do so, buy the bike back from insurance company.
If engine and tranny are good, you can get a new frame and end up with two
bikes as you will probably get another new one two.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is SoCal_Pappy? This is his bag. If he doesn't respond, I would PM the man. He seems to know a lot about this sort of thing. Plus, he is a good guy, and I am sure he wouldn't mind helping you find some answers.

And FWIW, I am really glad your son and you are on the mend. So, your son wasn't hurt? If so, that is great news. One of my biggest fears is riding and having one of my girls get hurt. I don't know how I would handle it. And, I am glad you seem completely ready, in mind (as the body is broken) to get back on and ride. Keep in mind, from what I know, that it is the insurance companies job to either fix the bike, or give you enough money to purchase a bike (of the same value). Shop around and find one that is close to what your bike was. Meaning any modifications (you can prove with receipts), year, model, etc. Then you will have an idea what you should get. NADA and KBB can give you an idea, but what really matters is what it will cost to replace the ride you had with one that is similar. Good luck, and enjoy the meds.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 AM
mcman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your mishap but glad you and your son are going to be OK. Bikes can be replaced, you and your son can't.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you and your son are OK.

Feel better.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:10 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bike value is hard , it can be subjective from dealer to dealer and state to state.
Kelly blue book or such would be a good place to start.
Look in the Parts and accessories catalog and it will give prices for a new tranny and engine and go from there.
I totaled an 01 EGC back in 02. The insurance company paid 15k on the loan. I paid the remaining 1100.
I bought the bike back for 4500. I rebuilt the bike as a custom (no fairing and raked it).
glad to hear the injuries were relatively minor.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cycleman6

Sorry to hear that you had a spill but glad you are okay. As far as values, I'm sorry I can't help you out with that, but wanted to extend my sympathy’s.
Same here! Hope you and your Son mend quickly.