Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Default Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED

First I had to push back on the ABS tab per the manual to release the wire to the speed sensor. Then I got the bike ready to jack up once I took out the axle, etc. Then I took the calipers off and wrapped them in a rag so as to not scratch anything and laid them over my highway pegs. Once I had the wheel removed and fender removed, I used a 6mm long shanked allen socket that I fabricated using an old allen and some JB weld. Then I took out the 6mm bolts using the method of sliding a screwdriver in one of the caliper bolt holes and turning in the opposite direction while putting force on the ratchet. Worked like a charm (I didn't feel like breaking out the impact wrench and air compressor). Then let the forks drain out of where the 6mm bolts were removed. More to follow in the next post.

Attached Thumbnails  Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-009.jpg    Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-010.jpg    Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-008.jpg  

Last edited by dawg; 10-01-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap

I Removed the wire retaining clips and did the jackhammer up and down method about 4 times and the sliders came right off. Gently twisted a screwdriver in the bottom retainer thing-a-mabob being careful not to touch the fork with the screwdriver. No picking on my blue filter, it's temporary! Then I removed the passing lamps and signals and chrome cover underneath to get at the two bolts that hold the cowbells. I know, I know....you can see a little too much grease coming out of the neck! I took care of that when I was done!More to follow.

Attached Thumbnails  Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-011.jpg    Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-014.jpg    Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-015.jpg  

Last edited by dawg; 10-01-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Then I got to the rear bolts on the cowbells by turning the fork either way for each side. Removed the ignition and fairing cap so I could access the top plugs of the forks to remove them. Then sprayed some silicone on top of the rubber fork stops so they would slide up the tubes as I pulled them out. Loosened the pinch bolts and you can see the tubes being pulled out. Now I just gotta wait till the powdercoater gets my spare set back to me to reassemble.

Attached Thumbnails  Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-248.jpg    Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-249.jpg    Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-250.jpg    Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED-251.jpg  

Last edited by dawg; 10-01-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Dat boy definately likes to play wit dat camera!![sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
T Prescott
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

And why are you doing this?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why?....I think it's because of the blue oil filter on his copper bike.....Humans are very susceptable to color stimulus and certain color combinations are known to cause odd behavior.

I know myself that colorful tatts on trashy women make me wanna fork something.

I'm kinda worried about this guy.....He's locked in his shed facing a long winter and already he is forking his bike.

If you know him and love him, please call 911 now.

LOL!....Glad you got the gumption to tackle this project. Please continue with the pics and blow-by-blow coverage.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: T Prescott

I am doing this because I want black powdercoated forks on the front of the bike. It will look killer against the copper. I think I might do the rotors also as was suggested prior.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: dawg

I am doing this because I want black powdercoated forks on the front of the bike. It will look killer against the copper. I think I might do the rotors also as was suggested prior.
He's doing it coz the local Dunkin' Donuts won't let him hang out there when he's off duty. [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

ORIGINAL: soos

ORIGINAL: dawg

He's doing it coz the local Dunkin' Donuts won't let him hang out there when he's off duty. [sm=badbadbad.gif]

OH, Tooooooooo Fuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnny!!! LOL!! [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Great thread, Dawg. And for the chromosexuals out there in HDF land, it will work for them also.

And with black forks and sliders, you save all that money you'd spend on braided staniless brake lines, chrome calipers, etc.

Dawg, don't forget to take the highway pegs and brackets to the powdercoater.

Quick Reply: Here's where I'm at with the fork slider swap-UPDATED