Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Nut Torque Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007 | 07:57 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Default RE: Axle Nut Torque Adapter

Received my Pit Posse in today's mail and was sure it wouldn't work because the 3/8" square is only 2" below the axle nut and needs to be
5-1/2" to 6" to clear the muffler with a torque wrench positioned on the "away side" of the bike. There is room on my EGC to put the torque wrench on the bike side of the Posse but I'm not sure how much swing I'll have to get the correct angle. I'm going to look into punching a second 3/8 square on a 6" center from the 36mm hole just to make life easier.

Old 11-13-2007 | 08:14 PM
cjprm
Novice

This may be a stupid question but do you need (2) of these wrenches to tighten the axle? One wrench to hold one nut and the other wrench to tighten the nut on the other side?

Old 11-13-2007 | 08:30 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

I received my Pit Posse wrench today and was disappointed to see that it has a hole for a 3/8 drive torque wrench. I assumed that with the torque the nut needs it would have a 1/2 hole, especially since my torque wrench is 1/2 drive.[:@]

Old 11-13-2007 | 08:40 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member

I use the Kastar it works well, all you have to do is remove the two muffler hanger bolts and just pull the muffler away from the the axle, mine just needs only a 1/16 more to get it on the axle nut. After its on it rachets so youjust have to get it on once and the torque wrench fits it well.

Old 11-13-2007 | 08:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Barton

For those of you who have the Axle Nut Torque Adapter (HD-47925), where did you get it?
FWIW, you can buy a 36mm socket from Sears for $9 ( http://*******.com/2dv5kf ). Break the nut with this socket, then remove it the rest of the way with the 36mm wrench in your tool kit or a large crescent. I have no trouble using a torque wrench and this socket on my SG, although you can't remove the nut all the way with a ratchet since the muffler is an obstruction. You could move the muffler, but who wants to? Get it tight with the tool-kit wrench, then torque it with the socket.

Old 11-13-2007 | 09:16 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member

Another thing to take into consideration is the diameter of the mufflers, some after market mufflers are not as big around as the oem mufflers and give alot more room to work. There's no way I can get a socket on my axle nut.

Old 11-13-2007 | 09:32 PM
billzbubba
3rd Gear

I bought a 36mm wrench from northern tool(around $12)cut it in half,milled a hole in it&welded an old socket in the hole.works well for the money&a little time(on the clock,ofcourse)

Old 11-13-2007 | 09:38 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Arvid

Cookiemech, is there something you know that I don't? I called Kent-Moore and they would not sell to me, I was told HD dealerships only. If you know how to get one I'd like to get one as well.

Arvid

Kent-Moore is pretty much a supplier to dealers for their special tools. They not only supply HD, but most of the auto makers, dealers. I'd just go with the Pit Posse one. Probably just as good, likely cheaper and quicker to get. we're not talking some high speed tool. Just a wrench with a hole for a torque wrench to fit.

My self, i use the wrench in the tool kit, and get it as tight as I can. Haven't had a bit of problem doing it this way. V&H Ovals make it kinda tight, but I can still get it done this way.

Old 11-14-2007 | 02:02 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member

Gman, I've gota ratcheting Kastar with the hole for the half inch drive. I think I asked about the Kent-Moore just so I couldtell my dealer"I got one anyway."

Arvid

Old 11-14-2007 | 05:25 AM
relli
Road Warrior

my tool man at work says he has a source that you can contact for Kent-Moore tools direct. so they are available.

Quick Reply: Axle Nut Torque Adapter